Arizona cop's tale of a Latino drug smuggler shooting him doesn't add up

Page 7 of 10

The deputy then hung up.

The DPS helicopter pilot lifted Puroll out of the desert about 5:20 and took him to the command post.

Puroll spoke there with Sheriff Babeu before an ambulance took him to the Casa Grande Regional Medical Center for treatment.

Pinal County deputies found the apparent shooting site near Antelope Peak before nightfall.

It was familiar to the deputies who work search-and-rescue, a final resting stop for untold undocumented immigrants before they walk the last few miles to I-8 on their way to Phoenix.

"It's a natural bottleneck," Puroll said later, "and it's the only practical way for a person to walk, unless you just want to go straight across country over mountains."

The site is an environmental disaster, with literally hundreds of plastic water bottles, ratty old backpacks, tattered clothing, the remnants of Mexican pharmaceuticals, blankets, and other rolls of toilet paper.

The officers eyed lots of ammunition, both expended and unexpended, in the "bottleneck," including dozens of shell casings clustered near the top of the ridge.

They also saw a Glock handgun near the spent casings.

It was Louie Puroll's — he had left it behind.

The deputies retreated to the command center by helicopter before it got too dark.

Sheriff Babeu and his top staff (accompanied by a senior prosecutor from the Pinal County Attorney's Office) decided to ask the DPS to process the scene the next morning. Pinal County would keep the officer-involved shooting and internal-affairs investigations in-house.

Sheriff's personnel photographed Deputy Puroll's gunshot wound at the hospital. The photos later served as the basis for the expert opinions of the pathologists contacted by New Times.

The police also took photos of Puroll's bloody T-shirt and of several other evidentiary items, including the deputy's firearms.

DPS investigators wanted to speak with the deputy that night, but Puroll already had been released from the hospital by the time a detective got there.

DPS and Pinal County investigators returned to the desert shooting site by helicopter the next morning. The state cops canvassed the clutter, taking hundreds of photographs and noting the GPS coordinates of the evidence they collected.

They recovered the Glock left behind by the deputy and, a few feet from the gun, the GPS unit and other items belonging to the deputy.

Forty-six shell casings from Puroll's two guns — the Glock and the M-16 — were nearby.

The presence of the casings suggested that he had discharged his weapons from the GPS location he shouted out at the start of his "I've been hit!" call.

The investigators also found nine expended shell casings that hadn't been fired from Puroll's two guns in the "crime scene."

Six of the casings came from AK-47 rifles (though it hasn't been determined whether they were from the same gun), and three came from a .45-caliber handgun.

Two of the AK-47 cartridges were within a few feet of the casings from Puroll's guns, but they were badly rusted and practically embedded into the ground.

The other four AK-47 casings appeared newer.

According to GPS calculations, they were close to each other, about 35 yards downhill from the deputy's Glock.

But, importantly, they were not in the general area where the deputy claimed that he had been fired upon by the first shooter.

Three .45-caliber casings were another 18 yards behind and to the left of the four AK-47 cartridges, looking downhill from Puroll's perspective.

By May 3 (three days after the shooting), Louie Puroll — reportedly a victim of attempted murder — obtained the counsel of a Casa Grande attorney who represents the Pinal County Deputies Association.

That morning, two investigators from Pinal County and two more from the DPS planned to return to the desert with Deputy Puroll for a walk-through of the shooting scene.

The attorney, Denis Fitzgibbons, laid ground rules:

Investigators would be limited to asking about where Puroll was standing when he was shot and when he was shooting, the directions he shot, and where the men were when he shot at them.

One more thing: The walk-through couldn't be audio- or videotaped. Remarkably, both police agencies agreed to the attorney's stipulations.

Pinal County Sergeant Hausman and case agent Todd Nelson got their chances to speak with Deputy Puroll (with attorney Fitzgibbons present) later that day back at the main station.

Police detectives utilize various techniques when interviewing suspects, witnesses, and victims. Some let the subject tell a story with little interruption before circling back to dissect the story detail by detail.

Puroll spoke deliberately during the 47-minute interview, sounding at times as if he were telling a mesmerizing war story around a campfire.

The two Pinal County detectives listened to their colleague for 26 minutes straight at one point, as the list of obvious follow-up questions mounted. But neither Sergeant Hausman nor Detective Nelson would challenge any part of the dramatic monologue.

KEEP MIAMI NEW TIMES FREE... Since we started Miami New Times, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Miami, and we'd like to keep it that way. With local media under siege, it's more important than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" program, allowing us to keep offering readers access to our incisive coverage of local news, food and culture with no paywalls.
Paul Rubin
Contact: Paul Rubin