September is traditionally a slow month for restaurants in Miami. Despite a Zika scare, however, restaurants held their own — possibly because of Miami Spice and Wynwood's Love for Locals campaign as promotional boosts.
Thankfully, the month's openings were robust and closings were nil. Notable openings include two long-awaited eateries on Biscayne Boulevard: Paulie Gee's Brooklyn Pizza and Phuc Yea.
Chef Bradley Kilgore opened Brava at the Arsht Center, and Matthew Sherman of Jugofresh opened his Paradigm Kitchen in Sunset Harbour.
- 320 Gastrolounge at Village of Merrick Park
- Barley at Downtown Dadeland
- Brava by Brad Kilgore at Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts
- Clove Mediterranean (195 SE Third Ave., Miami)
- Elle Taco at Dadeland Mall
- Paradigm Kitchen (1834 Bay Rd., Miami Beach)
- Legacy Caribbean Craft Brewery (13416 NW 38th Ct., Opa-locka)
- Paulie Gee's Brooklyn Pizza (8001 Biscayne Blvd., Miami)
- Phuc Yea (7100 Biscayne Blvd.. Miami)
- Raw Republic Juicery (14871 Biscayne Blvd., North Miami)
- Tanuki (1080 Alton Rd., Miami Beach)
No major closings this month.
- Agave Taco Bar - Opening in Doral
- Angelo Elia Pizza Bar - Opening at Aventura ParkSquare
- Atlas Meat-Free Deli - Opening in Little River
- The Avenue - British pub fare and American beer to open in Arts & Entertainment District
- Azucar - Opening near FIU
- Bake House - Opening in Miami Beach
- Bar Meli - Relocating to the former Michy's space
- Baru Latin Bar - Opening in Doral
- Bazaar Mar - José
Andrésopening at SLS Brickell
- Bikini Barista - Coming to Midtown
- Blue Ribbon Sushi Bar & Grill - Opening in Miami
BousaBrewing Co. - Brewery opening in Little River District
- The Brick - Farm to table coming to Dadeland area
- The Broken Shaker - Opening in Los Angeles
- Cake Thai Kitchen - Opening in Wynwood
- Casa Florida - Opening at Roam Miami
- Dirt - Opening second location at Mary Brickell Village
- Doa - Zuma & Coya's partners opening Doa
- Employees Only - Famed New York City bar opening in Miami Beach
- Estefan Kitchen - Gloria and Emilio are at it again
- Federal Donuts - Michael Solomonov coming to Wynwood
- Freddo Helado - Opening in Doral
Fi'lia- Michael Schwartz opening at SLS Brickell
- Gravity Brewlab - Opening in Wynwood
- Graziano's - Opening at Aventura ParkSquare project
- Groovin' Bean - Coffeehouse and lounge opening in Overtown
- Hank & Harry's - Buzzy Sklar to open New York-style deli in South Beach
- Harry's Pizzeria - Chef Michael Schwartz expanding several locations
- IceBox Cafe - Opening at Aventura ParkSquare project
- In the Kitchen With Norman van Aken - Opening at Wynwood Arcade
- Itabe - Kevin Aoki and Roman Jones collaborate on a restaurant.
- Junior's - Iconic cheesecake and restaurant opening
- Kiki on the RIver - Opening with gondolas
- La Muse Cafe - Jamie DeRosa opening a Brickell café
- Latin Grill - Opening at Dadeland Mall
- Latin House Grill - Opening near FIU
- Le Chick Rotisserie - Zuma investors opening in Wynwood.
- Le Macaron - Opening at Dadeland Mall and other locations
- Local Boy Poke - Opening in Wynwood
- Local 'Q - Barbecue concept by The Local
- McAliser's Deli - Chain deli opening in Miami
- Mediterranean Kitchen - Opening in Aventura
- Mojo Donuts & Fried Chicken - Coming to Westchester
- Ms. Cheezious - Planning expansion
- My Ceviche - Coming to Midtown and MIA
- NightLife Brewing Company - Brewery planned for Marlins Park
- Oris Sushi - Opening at Dadeland Mall
- Palmeiras Beach Club - Opening in Coconut Grove
- Panther Coffee - Opening in MiMo, and Little Haiti
- Paraiso Bay Restaurant & Beach Club - Michael Schwartz opening a restaurant at this Edgewater complex
- Pasion del Cielo - Opening in Brickell and Doral
- Persona Pizzeria - California chain coming to Miami
- Pincho Factory - Opening several locations in Doral, West Kendall
- PlugIn - Karaoke palace opening at Gulfstream
- PokeBao - Poke and bao buns coming to Coral Gables.
- Pubbelly Sushi - Opening at Brickell City Centre
- Rasta Village - Coming to Little Haiti
- Red O - Rick Bayless bringing his Mexican/California concpt to Miami
- Revolution in Bloom - Vegan and vegetarian cuisine
- Ricky's - An old fashioned diner opening in South Beach
- Rubio's Coastal Grill - California chain to open in former Lime locations.
- Salty Donut - Doughnut shop coming to Wynwood
- Soul Tavern - Meat-free gastropub coming to Sunset Harbour
- Starbucks & Einsten Bros. BAgels - Udonis Haslem to open both at Jackson Memorial campus
- Tap 42 - Opening in Midtown Miami
- The Smile - NYC establishment to open in Miami
- Tino's - Wood Fired pizz coming to Brickell
- Spanglish Ales - Another brewery to open in Wynwood
- Spring Chicken - Several other locations opening
- Stiltsville Fish Bar - Jeff McInnis and Janine Booth opening seafood restaurant in Sunset Harbour
- Sullivan St. Bakery - Opening in Little Haiti
- Tacology Taqueria - Opening in Brickell
- Toasted Bagels - Coming to Coral Gables
- Tobacco Road - New and improved Road opening this winter
- Tropical Barbecue - Kris Wessel returns with Little Haiti barbecue place
- Tutto Il Giorno - Authentic Italian fare coming soon
- Unbranded Brewing Company - Hialeah's first brewery
- Union Beer - Beer to go and bar opening in Little Havana
- Upland - Stephen Starr and Justin Smilllie bring the NYC restaurant to Miami Beach.
- Velvet Creme - Iconic doughnuts returning to Miami
- Which Wich - Opening several locations in Miami
- Whole Foods Market - Proposed megastore in Sunset Harbour
- Zak the Baker - Planning an expansion of his café and bakery
Projects in the Works
- Chef Alex Stupak is shopping for a location in Miami for a taco restaurant.
- Joël Robuchon is opening eateries in the Design District.
Wanjey, a partner at Zuma and Coya, will open a French restaurant in Brickell this year.
- Jose Garces is rumored to be opening a Miami restaurant.
- Alfredo Patino plans to open a French concept on 79th Street.
Embarek Alibaywill open a café adjacent to his La Parisienne Bakery (1909 NE 154th St., North Miami Beach).
- Geoffrey Zakarian is opening a restaurant at the Diplomat in Hallandale Beach.
- A 38,000-square-foot Italian food market will open at Brickell City Centre.
- MasterChef Brazil judge Henrique Fogaça is looking for space in Miami.