Oscars, shmoscars. Miami has its own culture to celebrate, and this Thursday at Artopia, that's exactly what we're going to do.
New Times' annual arts party returns with a fully stacked list of artists, musicians, designers, food vendors, and drink sponsors -- and better yet, there won't be a limping Kristen Stewart anywhere in sight. We'll be announcing the winners of New Times' Mastermind Awards, presented by the Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts of Miami-Dade County; rocking out to some of this town's favorite local acts; and oogling freaky fashion on the runway.
We're giving you the chance to get in for free. Read on to find out how to win one of four pairs of tickets to Artopia.
This year's Artopia will transform the Coral Gables Museum into the central hub of Miami culture on Thursday, February 28. Art on display will range from authentic Picasso works to pieces by the late local art hero Purvis Young. Expect to see tons of local talent on display. Miami artists Maximo Caminero, Mark Cherry, Joe Chirichigno, Antonio Fortuna, Andrés Mesa, Lena Reznik, Stephen Tiger, Ray Trout, and former MasterMind Award winners Drugged Conscience Records and Domingo of the End/Spring Break will all be represented.
Attendees will browse the walls to the sounds of PALO!, who'll be performing live. DJ Andrea Xavier & Jessie Mallie, the Ground Zero Crew, and former MasterMind Award winner Roofless Records will also add to the night's soundtrack.
Along the way, you can nosh on treats from Machiya, Catalina's Bake Shop, Daily Melt, and other area eateries. And, of course, you'll enjoy it all with a drink in your hand, courtesy of Beck's, Rums of Puerto Rico, SX Vodkas, and El Cartel Tequila.
Topping it all off, Real Housewives of Miami star and drag queen about town Elaine Lancaster will host the festivities in celebration of the Arsht Center's upcoming show Priscilla Queen of the Desert.
Here's how to win:
We Believe Local Journalism is Critical to the Life of a City
Engaging with our readers is essential to Miami New Times's mission. Make a financial contribution or sign up for a newsletter, and help us keep telling Miami's stories with no paywalls.
Support Our Journalism
Official Artopia Ticket Giveaway Instructions
1. Head to Cultist's Facebook page and Like it.
2. Find the "Win free tickets to Artopia" update, and leave a comment.
3. From the pool of commenters, we'll randomly select four lucky winners and send them a message how to claim their prize -- a pair of passes to Artopia on Thursday, February 28.
4. Make sure your Facebook security settings allow you to receive private messages from Cultist -- and keep an eye on your Facebook messages, because that's how we'll let you know you've won.
5. Winners must pick up their passes at the New Times office by 3 p.m. Wednesday, February 27.
6. Last thing: You have until noon Tuesday, February 26, to enter.