With no tropical storm in sight, tuck into a sunny weekend scored by Rihanna and Robert Plant, tickled by Kyle Cease, and sustained by Miami Spice and lots of obscure Japanese snacks.
- Miami's local bands (Deaf Poets, Sirens & Sealions, Animal Tropical) will play a benefit show tonight for Michael Lum. He was hit by a car last week while riding his bike, leaving him in critical condition with no health insurance. Pay $6 to hear good music at Harvey's at the American Legion, and you could help with his medical bills.
- Community theater tackles notions of sanity and greed in weekend performances of Crazy Mary.
- "Why are beer companies always trying convince us how cold their beers is - isn't that up to us?" Hear more astute observations from comedian Kyle Cease at the Miami Improv this weekend.
- She gave us the 2005 breakout hit "Pon de
Replay" and the 2007 earworm "Umbrella." Now, Rihanna, that lovable pop queen
from Barbados, stops at the American Airline Arena on Saturday for her
Last Girl on Earth Tour. She'll be joined by Travis McCoy.
Zepplin's Robert Plant brings his tousled blond locks, bare chest, and
arena rock prowess to the Bayfront Park Amphitheater on Saturday. Read
our Q&A with Mr. Plant here. BONUS: Here's an awesome video of a younger Plant in a leather bolero jacket rolling around in the dessert:
We Believe Local Journalism is Critical to the Life of a City
Engaging with our readers is essential to Miami New Times's mission. Make a financial contribution or sign up for a newsletter, and help us keep telling Miami's stories with no paywalls.
Support Our Journalism
- Get your auto eroticism on
this weekend at the Remix Award Tour Car Show & Competition at Sun Life Stadium. Leer
at custom cars, street bikes, and bikini babes in this celebration of all
Miami Spice, that month of
almost-affordable good eatin', kicks off on Saturday with a culinary
party at the Miami Beach Convention Center. Sample good eats from
Miami's best restaurants, get your cookbooks singed, and meet hometown
- It's cheaper than a
flight to Japan, so trek to Broward's Tate's Comics for their semiannual
(and free!) Japanese Snack Tasting. Binge on pocky (biscuit stick
coated with chocolate), kappa ebisen (shrimp chips), and nori (seaweed)