Art Basel Miami Beach is in two weeks. So what the hell do we do with ourselves until then? Fortunately, the city's got us covered the next three days.
Not only does the Miami Book Fair International kick off its massive street fair this weekend, but a few venues are diving into their Basel festivities early.
Art, culture, fun, with a promise of cocktails tying it all together -- just another fabulous Miami weekend.
- The Swamp: The Book Fair's pop-up lounge keeps rolling with a roster of fun events all day, including Dance from the Tattooed Ballerinas, live music from the Spam Allstars, and an epic literary death match.
- 4409.72 Miles 9125 Days at Diana Lowenstein Gallery: Celebrate the gallery's 25th anniversary with a reception and their Basel offerings on view.
We Believe Local Journalism is Critical to the Life of a City
Engaging with our readers is essential to Miami New Times's mission. Make a financial contribution or sign up for a newsletter, and help us keep telling Miami's stories with no paywalls.
Support Our Journalism
- ICA Miami Time Capsule Party at the Moore Building: Bring a personal item for the time capsule -- designed by Miami artist Justin H. Long -- and commemorate the new museum's grand opening with a rooftop garden party (and after party at Gramps!)
- Writing in Sand at Black Box Theatre: A multidisciplinary stage production directed by Carlos Caballero, with performances by local actresses voicing the Miami migrant experience.
- Miami Book Fair International Street Fair, Day One: Starting at 9:30 a.m. and going till 6:30 p.m., the fair is filled with your pick of bookish events, from Judy Blume, John Waters, and Richard Dawkins, to National Book Award winners, Jason Segel, and Sheila E.
- Leaps & Bounds at elemental: Take a look (or take home) custom-painted scaled water towers with designs by over 40 street artists.
- Miami Book Fair International Street Fair, Day Two: Kicking off again at 9:30 a.m., Sunday's book activities include Reading Queer's dragged-out brunch, Borscht film screenings, and appearances by Andy Cohen, Questlove, and John Cleese. Don't forget about the multi-person panels peppered throughout the day.
- Heat vs. Hornets at American Airlines Arena: Somebody's gonna get squashed.
- Botanical Bazaar at Miami Beach Botanical Garden: Free yoga, a performance by Florida Grand Opera, and vendors selling goods all day.