Happy three-day MLK Weekend, y'all. How's everyone going to celebrate Dr. King's legacy? Like Christmas, the true spirt of the holiday is often overlooked. People forget that the good Doctor dedicated his life to civil rights and died in the name of equality.
We've compiled a list of some of the best happenings 'round the Big Mango this weekend, peppered it with some artsy stuff, and topped it all off with an MLK-centric section. Get ready for a fun-filled weekend, friends.
- Art Deco Weekend: The 35th Annual Art Deco Festival occupies South Beach this weekend and Bunny Yeager's grand marshaling the thing.
- DWNTWN Concert Series presents ArtOfficial, Jahfé, and Afro Kumbé: Forget about the recession and catch some killer music for free.
- Miami International Art Fair: This avant-garde showcase is going down on a boat, literally--The Seafair.
- Pop Up Record Store: Remember when you used to buy music on at a record store? Relive the glory days.
- Second Saturday Art Walk: Miami's art scene continues to grow. First Art Walk of the year, y'all!
- Taste of Miami: What does Miami taste like?
- Novalima: Afro-Peruvian tunes and Calle Ocho. Life doesn't get any better.
Bohemian Open Mic Night: Miami, a Bohemian Rap City.
We Believe Local Journalism is Critical to the Life of a City
Engaging with our readers is essential to Miami New Times's mission. Make a financial contribution or sign up for a newsletter, and help us keep telling Miami's stories with no paywalls.
Support Our Journalism
Monday, Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
- Unity in the Community: The City of Miami Gardens has several events planned for the holiday and asks, "What steps will you take to make your community more unified?"
- Martin Luther King Day Parade: Liberty City's annual MLK parade kicks off at 11 a.m.