There's a (slight) chill in the air. You've even shut off your A/C a couple of times. This, folks, is "fall" in Miami. There may not be fiery hearths and layers, but we can get cozy with the best of 'em. Though you may want to stay in with that blanket and new book, this weekend kicks off the Miami Book Fair International, the yearly mega fest that brings fun and impressive literati for tons of big events.
You can celebrate your bookish side beginning Sunday, and until then, there's plenty of places to get your cultural fix.
- Wynwood Art Auction at Grand Central: Raise your paddles for this no-reserve, no-holds-barred battle to collect street art.
- Hush Bar & Lounge Grand Opening Bash: The owners of Oolite bring another South Beach hot spot -- and this one serves grub till 5 a.m.
- Daniel Arsham at Locust Projects: Locust becomes a major excavation site with Arsham's latest work.
- Nascondino by Lisa Diakova at Gallery 212: Meet the artist and get a preview of 212's upcoming Art Basel showings.
- Chongas, Drag Queens, and Heterosexual Aliens at Moonchine: 'Nuff said.
- Dance Marathon Fundraiser for Space Mountain Miami: Dance till you drop to the sounds of DJ Woozles, Dani Champagne, and Pretty Rico.
- Dr. Strangelove at Coral Gables Art Cinema: Catch the 50th anniversary of Stanley Kubrick's apocalyptic Cold War comedy.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
- Miami Book Fair International: Starting Sunday, Miami gets two weeks of non-stop literary fun. Tonight, catch the kick-off at 7:15 p.m. with co-founder Mitchell Kaplan, and an evening with Alexander McCall Smith.
- Three Acts, Two Dancers, and One Radio Host: Ira Glass sets This American Life stories to dance numbers. It sounds wrong, but it's so right.
- The Swamp: Starting Sunday, a pop-up lounge takes over the Book Fair, but there's little that's lounge-y about it. Filled with Florida-centric activities celebrating the beautiful and weird of our state, the Swamp kicks off with the WEIRD Miami Bus Tour, followed by a bocce ball tournament, live painting with LEBO, and poetry karaoke. We also heard a rumor that AholSniffsGlue's magical claw machine will make an appearance. Check out a full schedule here.