Miami culture's a hot commodity. For proof, look no farther than the case of AholSniffsGlue vs. American Eagle Outfitters. AEO found Ahol's Wynwood murals so appealing that they allegedly ripped the artist off in their haste to use them to sell skinny jeans and graphic tees.
That's a dick move, and you should be pissed off about it. But you should feel a little sad, too, for the people in the rest of the world whose only exposure to Ahol's signature eyes was through AEO's questionably legal, certainly unethical ad campaign. Not everybody gets to live in a town as great as Miami.
It's up to you, then, to make the most of this and every weekend -- to take advantage of your awesome surroundings by taking in as much of this town as you can. Here's how to do just that.
- Miami Spice: Screw your diet. Cheap eats at fancy venues only come once a year.
- Yes: Does prog rock live? Yes is your answer.
- Get Spendy: Tax-free weekend is supposed to help parents with back-to-school shopping, but there's no reason you can't indulge too.
- FreeBee: The free electronic transportation service launches in Brickell with class (AKA champagne).
- Caring About The Strays: Down pints, save pooches.
- Death To Miami Fest III: BECAUSE METAL.
- Animal Collective: This one's for the party animals.
- FEAST Miami: Discuss Miami's art future over a tasty meal at Emerson Dorsch.
- Bark At The Park: "Take me out to the ballgame!" --your dog
- Curren$y: A lil' sumthin to finish out your weekend.
Follow Ciara on Twitter @ciaralavelle.
Send your story tips to Cultist at email@example.com.
Keep Miami New Times Free... Since we started Miami New Times, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Miami, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Miami with no paywalls.