The best time of the week is finally here — the weekend. And Miami offers just about every genre of music this weekend. You can catch Talib Kweli at Rec Room, Tim McGraw at Perfect Vodka Amphitheatre, Bingo Players at Revolution Live, and L80's Karaoke at Churchill's Pub. If you're looking for something more low-key, local poet Stella Santamaria is giving a free reading to promote her book, In Between Spaces-Miami at Books & Books. Here's a glimpse at what our city has to offer this weekend, so get up and get ready for another memorable, Miami-style weekend.
ArtOfficial at Ball & Chain: The 305's jazzy hip-hop funk crew, ArtOfficial "thrives on originality." As stated on their Facebook bio, the homies craft music with soul, "[treading] their own path, eschewing the simple magic of beat machines and samples for the irreplaceable warmth of organic instrumentation."
Ryan Crosson at Trade: What many clearly want is the equivalent of fine cuisine: music that is refined, complex and with depth of flavors. Visionquest's Ryan Crosson certainly aims to please those more sophisticated taste palates.
- Talib Kweli at Rec Room: Unlike most of the bling-obsessed pop-rappers who dominated the late '90s, Black Star's Def and Kweli were thoughtful, political, and deeply literate.
- Tim McGraw at Perfect Vodka Amphitheatre: A man with 30 number one singles and 11 number one albums who has starred in a handful of hit movies, possesses a pilot's license, and owns an island in the Bahamas, it's easy to say that Tim McGraw is so much more than just a one trick "hat act."
- Bingo Players at Revolution Live: "I'm ready to fight this thing." That's how Bingo Players' Paul Baümer took on his unexpected and devastating cancer diagnosis last summer. But sadly, though he showed great courage and admirable resilience, the Dutch DJ-producer passed away on December 17, 2013. Now, in Baümer's memory, the fight continues. And on August 21, his Bingo Players partner, Maarten Hoogstraten will be taking over the decks at Revolution Live in Fort Lauderdale.
- TuffGnarl.com 2nd Annual Rock & Roll Debauch at Churchill's Pub: Judging from 2014's rager, we can only image what TuffGnarl.com will bring to 5501 NE 2nd Avenue for its second annual Rock & Roll Debauch.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
- Feel the Spirit at The Garret at Grand Central: While he would go on to an illustrious career as a producer, putting his Midas touch on chart-topping hits by the likes of Madonna and Whitney Houston, Benitez' artistic identity today remains firmly rooted in that golden era of nightlife he helped found.
Sexposé at World Erotic Art Museum: Sexposé features speakers who delve into the history, psychology, and cultural impact of human sexuality. Guests will learn why virginity doesn’t exist, how sexual imagery is used in advertising, and the history and economics of sex work, among other topics. Think of it as a sexified TED talk.
Free Poetry Reading by Stella Santamaria at Books & Books: Local poet Stella Santamaria is giving a free reading to promote her book, In Between Spaces-Miami. Her works are from her often sarcastic, self deprecating views of the world at large. Her debut poetry collection, In Between Spaces- Miami, sends a clear message to the reader that life goes on.
- L80's Karaoke at Churchill's Pub: Sing your ass off to New Order, the Cure, Ramones, and all your fave rock stars of the '80s and watch some of the greatest music vids of a bygone era at Churchill's L80's Karaoke & Music Video Night. Hosted by your girl DJ Andie Sweetswirl, you know it's gonna be a totally tubular night.