Since we last talked about the Miami International Book Fair, there have been a few sad cancellations: Sir Michael Caine, Venus Williams, and Charles Burns. But there have also been some kicking additions (Dave Eggers!). Today, the Book Fair announced the official schedule of events, so let's hope this means the current author line-up is pretty stable.
Below, we've listed the most coveted Book Fair events and how to score tickets. Last year, we were the fools running through the Wolfson Campus, waiting in a long-ass line, and almost missed seeing Iggy Pop's nipples. This year the motto is: Be prepared, and don't miss shit.
Here are our choice picks in decreasing order of awesome-ness:
1. Jonathan Franzen: Sunday, Nov. 21, 5 p.m.
2. Dave Eggers: Saturday, Nov. 20, 11:30 p.m
3. Patti Smith: Friday, Nov. 19, 8 p.m.
4. Nick Zinner (Yeah Yeah Yeahs): Sunday, Nov. 22, 4 p.m.
5. Greil Marcus: Saturday, Nov. 20, 2:30 p.m.
6. Gay Talese: Saturday, Nov. 20, 4 p.m.
7. Salman Rushdie: Saturday, Nov. 20, 5 p.m.
We Believe Local Journalism is Critical to the Life of a City
Engaging with our readers is essential to Miami New Times's mission. Make a financial contribution or sign up for a newsletter, and help us keep telling Miami's stories with no paywalls.
Support Our Journalism
8. Meghan McCain: Sunday, Nov. 22, 1:30 p.m.
9. Jennifer Egan: Saturday, Nov. 20, 2:30 p.m.
10. John Waters: Wednesday, Nov. 17, 8 p.m.
The "Evening With" events (i.e. the ones Tuesday through Friday) cost $10 per reading and advance tickets go on sale at noon on November 8. The readings on Saturday and Sunday are included with the $8 admission to the Street Fair, but in order to secure a seat to the above events, you better get there pretty freaking early. Readings take place at Miami-Dade College (300 NE Second Ave., Miami) in the Chapman Conference Center (Building 3, 2nd Floor, Room 3210). Read the full schedule of 300 Book Fair events here.