Star Wars Day is upon us and once again will bring fans out of the woodwork to celebrate Luke Skywalker and crew. Everyone’s favorite holiday based on a pun has grown in popularity since its inception in 2011, with more businesses around the country getting in on the outer-space action every year.
Despite its too-cool-for-school reputation, Miami participates in the annual Star Wars revelry with film screenings, drink specials, trivia, and costume contests. Here’s your guide to May the Fourth options in South Florida, just in case you’re one of the many people looking to dress up and let your Star Wars flag fly.
1. May the Wh4rf Be With You. Rep your side in the battle of good versus evil with the Wharf’s two $10 specialty cocktails: the Force and the Dark Side. Or you could remain neutral and order $3 glasses of wine or $1 Wharf lager pints from 4 to 7 p.m. The Wharf is also getting into the spirit with inflatable Star Wars characters and giveaways, including masks and lightsabers. Be sure to bring your appetite, becaise Mojo Donuts, Spris Pizza, King of Racks BBQ, and Garcia’s Seafood Grille & Fish Market will provide the eats. And DJs Vinni Soul and Livitup will provide the music. Noon to 2 a.m. Friday, May 4, at the Wharf, 114 SW North River Dr., Miami; 305-906-4000. wharfmiami.com. Admission is free.
2. May the Fourth Be With You at Stache. This seventh-annual Star Wars Day party might cause a great disturbance in the Force. Stache Drinking Den + Coffee Bar will turn the traditional Star Wars mythos on its head with a risqué celebration involving burlesque and drag queens. Also on tap: a live art show with artists painting on canvases, Star Wars-themed photo booths, costume contests (prizes include Florida Supercon and Popcorn Frights Film Festival tickets), and DJ Lindersmash. 11 p.m. to 4 a.m. Friday, May 4, at Stache, 109 SW Second Ave., Fort Lauderdale; 954-449-1044; stacheftl.com. Admission is free.
jwakefieldbrewing.com. Admission is free.
mdpls.org. Admission is free.
5. Blue Martini Fort Lauderdale's May the Fourth Be With You. Located less than 12 parsecs from Miami, Blue Martini Fort Lauderdale invites Star Wars fans to enjoy happy-hour specials on tapas and cocktails from 2 to 7 p.m. and a free martini tasting from 5 to 7 p.m. Taking the stage that evening will be Flavor — Blue Martini’s version of the Cantina Band. The South Florida cover band and staff will get into the festivities with Star Wars-themed attire, and guests are encouraged to do the same. 2 p.m. to 3 a.m. Friday, May 4, at Blue Martini Fort Lauderdale, 2432 E. Sunrise Blvd., Fort Lauderdale; 954-653-2583; fortlauderdale.bluemartinilounge.com. Admission is free.
churchillspub.com. Tickets cost $5 via holdmyticket.com.
7. Las Rosas' May the Fourth Be With You. Luke Skywalker had to channel the Force to earn his green lightsaber, but you simply need to be one of the first 12 people to show up at Las Rosas to score one of your own. The Allapattah music dive bar will give away glow-in-the-dark lightsabers (that make noise!) in honor of its May the Fourth party, which is scheduled to kick off with a performance by Off Orbit and close with Stardust One. 9 p.m. to 3 a.m. Friday, May 4, at Las Rosas, 2898 NW Seventh Ave., Miami; 786-780-2700; lasrosasbar.com. Admission is free.
8. May the Fork Be With You. Coco Bambu’s happy hour will get a little happier this Friday for those in Star Wars costumes. Dress up and enjoy the Brazilian seafood eatery’s happy hour — which is typically two hours and includes half-off beers and caipirinhas and 25 percent off appetizers — the entire night. Those drink specials will come in handy when you’re trying to Jedi-mind-trick yourself into signing up for Coco Bambu’s karaoke. 6 p.m. to 1 a.m. Friday, May 4, at Coco Bambu, 955 Alton Rd., Miami Beach; 786-348-0770; cocobambu.com. Admission is free.