The weekend was a blur, and now time begins marching ever so slowly. Not to worry -- there are plenty of feel-good freebies to get you through the workweek.
Maybe you had a big pig-out session and you need some friendly workout encouragement. Maybe you didn't get to eat enough and you want to learn how to cook the perfect tailgate. Or maybe you just want to curl up with a good book.
Miami has all that and more at no cost to you. C'mon, Monday, get excited.
- William C. Gordon Presenting the Halls of Power: We love a good noir mystery. The author will appear at Books & Books to discuss the latest in his series featuring newspaper reporter Samuel Hamilton.
- Park Social Fitness Kick-Off: Make friends and get fit during this hourlong full-body workout. Plus, Margaret Pace Park is a pretty beautiful place to get sweaty. The first 25 people will receive a Lifestyle Gift Bag, and those who arrive by 6:30 p.m. will get a free body fat analysis from Park Social Trainers.
- Ritchie Boys: German Jewish Refugee Soldiers and the War Effort: Catch the film screening and discussion led by local Ritchie Boy Professor Emeritus Guy Stern at the Jewish Museum of Florida, beginning at 7 p.m.
- The Brian Lynch Ensemble at the Food Truck and Music Festival: Presented by KCC Productions, Grammy Award winner Brian Lynch and his band will enlighten you with some of the greatest Latin jazz you'll ever hear. Catch them at the North Shore Bandshell at 7275 Collins Ave., and while you're there, meander among the food trucks.
- Winn-Dixie and Bud Light Ultimate Tailgate Cooking Demo: Let Aaron Sanchez of Chopped fame guide you to the most delicious tailgate of your life. He'll teach how to perfect grilled pork tenderloin, mussels with Bud Light and garlic-chipotle, and a scrumptious salsa verde, among other dishes.
- CreativeMornings/Miami: Get to the New World Symphony early, like 8:30 to 11:30 a.m., for the chance to hear President and CEO Howard Herring speak during CreativeMornings MIA's first anniversary; then stay to hear a NWS rehearsal
- Fashion Rocks at Macy's Aventura: It's a runway show celebration, hosted by blogger Kelly Saks, featuring fall trends and must-haves. You can also enjoy complimentary treats and music, and if you want to buy the clothes, they won't stop you.
Follow Kat Bein on Twitter @KatSaysKill.
Send your story tips to Cultist at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Keep Miami New Times Free... Since we started Miami New Times, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Miami, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Miami with no paywalls.