Forget Ultra or Art Basel -- the best week of the year is here: Miami Book Fair International! This litany of literary wonders is taking over downtown Miami for the next two weeks, and all kinds of awesome events (many of them free) are lined up.
This is your chance to spend seven days stimulating your oft-neglected intellect. But don't worry -- even if you're not a book nerd, there's plenty to keep you busy all week while keeping your budget intact. Bibliophile or not, you'll find something in this list of the best of the best.
- Book fair fun at MDC Wolfson: There's a whole lineup of literary events this week, many of them free, from Swamp Shorts! play readings Monday, to the Poem Depot Thursday, to life-size chess Friday. Visit miamibookfair.com for the full schedule of events.
- Stitch 'n' Bitch Happy Hour at the Freehand Miami: Crocheting isn't just for old ladies anymore. Learn more about the burgeoning craft with designer Karelle Levy over complimentary Stolen Rum cocktails.
- FYXD 305 Night Ride at Omni Metromover: Get your after-dark ride on with several dozen of your closest cycling friends. The pace is quick, so be ready to kill 15 to 20 miles at a brisk clip.
- Godzilla at Soundscape Park: The 2014 revamp of the big-reptile classic will be shown on a 7,000-square-foot projection wall.
- Book & Chain Party at Ball & Chain: This O, Miami-hosted soiree will celebrate Miami Book Fair International's return plus the release of two new titles by Jai Alai Books. Who knows? You could meet a bibliophile babe.
- Give Miami Day Community Block Party at Marlins Park: To celebrate the city's 24-hour charitable giving extravaganza, this bash will feature entertainment, music, kids' activities, and exposure to some of the city's best philanthropic causes so you can see where your money goes.
- Free Fridays at the Wolfsonian-FIU: Skip the bar and peruse the museum's whopping 120,000-some-odd objects instead.
Follow Hannah on Twitter @hannahgetshappy.
Send your story tips to Cultist at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Keep Miami New Times Free... Since we started Miami New Times, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Miami, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Miami with no paywalls.