4
| Culture |

Cuban Singer Omara Portuondo Cancels Show; Old Exiles Rejoice

^
Keep New Times Free
I Support
  • Local
  • Community
  • Journalism
  • logo

Support the independent voice of Miami and help keep the future of New Times free.

Ever since the Los Van Van concert last month went by without a hitch, cantankerous anti-Castro activists here have been itching for some kind of PR victory.

They just got it today: bolero singer Omara Portuondo canceled her March 2 concert at The Fillmore in Miami Beach citing slow ticket sales.

The 80-year-old balladeer, the Cyndi Lauper to contemporary Celia Cruz's Madonna, is a legend in Cuba who was even featured in Buena Vista Social Club.

But exiled Cuban agitators see her differently. One blog calls her a "Castro-Chavez Diva," and Vigilia Mambisa told Riptide she was the "regime's stooge." Local curmudgeon Emilio Izquierdo Jr. gave us the strongest condemnation, though.

"To bring Omara Portuendo to Miami is like bringing the Ku Klux Klan to Liberty City," he said. Whoa. Keeping spoutin' crazy dude! On his blog, Izquierdo says it was pressure from Cuban exile groups that prompted the cancellation.

But Portuondo's promoter, Valiente Concerts, said the cancellation was financial. Tickets were going for $90-150 and only 200 were sold. The Fillmore has 2,600 seats.
Valiente says just 600 were needed to break even, and ticket sales were too slow. It took three weeks to sell just 30.

"If they're taking responsibility, they're wrong," said Malaica Valiente. "It's a whole bunch of things. The economy mainly. When there are no ticket sales, we make decisions."
Portuondo's shows in Washington D.C. and Glenside, PA, have also been nixed.

Exile groups have pushed local officials for months to cancel the Fillmore gig, as they tried to do with Los Van Van, but they found a quasi-ally in Miami Beach mayor Matti Herrera Bower the way they couldn't with Tomas Regalado.

Although the Cuban-American Bower doesn't have any authority to throw out shows, she did express her displeasure over the booking with the city's Cultural Art Council, an official at the mayor's office said. And, she was the first to notify exile groups of the show's cancellation when the theater informed her office.

Izquierdo feels vindicated by the turn of events anyway. "Our protests at Los Van Van worked. It was just good public relations." Meanwhile, the Fillmore says no one has been booked yet to take the stage March 2.

Keep Miami New Times Free... Since we started Miami New Times, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Miami, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Miami with no paywalls.

We use cookies to collect and analyze information on site performance and usage, and to enhance and customize content and advertisements. By clicking 'X' or continuing to use the site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. To find out more, visit our cookies policy and our privacy policy.

 

Join the New Times community and help support independent local journalism in Miami.

 

Join the New Times community and help support independent local journalism in Miami.