Whole Foods One-Day Rotisserie Chicken Sale: Weekend Recipes for Your Whole Roasted Bird
Courtesy of Whole Foods
Roasted chicken might just be everyone's go-to comfort meal. In celebration of the crispy yet juicy bird, Whole Foods is hosting a one-day national sale today on their humanely raised, antibiotic-free and all organic seasoned whole roasted chicken.
Five dollars will get you a long way today -- dinner for the whole family or an entire weekend of chicken-filled meals. Whole Foods usually prices birds at $8.99 and today they are going for $5. (that's $3.99 of savings). And in case you're wondering just what to do with a chicken on date night, we've got some tantalizing recipes for you to try. All center on rotisserie chicken.
See also: Ten Best Chicken & Waffles in Miami
Quick Chicken Tostadas
- 8 tostadas (crispy whole corn tortillas)
- 1 cup refried beans
- 12 ounces shredded rotisserie chicken meat
- 1 ripe avocado , peeled, pitted and sliced into wedges
- 1 cup grated pepper jack cheese
- 1 cup thinly sliced romaine lettuce
- 1 cup chunky salsa or diced tomatoes
Preheat oven to 350°F. Arrange tostadas on a baking sheet in a single layer and bake until hot, 3 to 5 minutes. Meanwhile, heat beans and chicken separately in the microwave or in small pots on the stove until hot throughout.
Spread tostadas with beans, then top with avocado slices, chicken, cheese, lettuce and salsa and serve immediately.
Chipotle Chicken Salad
4 to 6 servings
Create a delicious twist on perennial crowd-pleaser chicken salad by using rotisserie chicken and canned chipotles. Serve on a bed of crisp lettuce.
- 1 rotisserie chicken
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 large red onion, diced
- 2 green onions, white and light green parts, thinly sliced on the bias
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup canned chipotles in adobo sauce, pureed or finely chopped, more to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- pinch ground black pepper
Pull chicken meat into shreds with your fingers, discarding skin and bones. You should have about 4 cups of chicken. Combine chicken, bell pepper, red onion, green onion and cilantro in a large bowl.
Stir mayonnaise, chipotles, lime juice, salt and pepper together in a small bowl. Combine with chicken and vegetables. Taste and adjust seasoning, adding additional chopped chipotles if desired. Chill until ready to serve.
Tarragon Chicken Salad Sandwiches
- 1 1/4 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 3) (or two-pound rotisserie chicken, which yields about 4 cups of meat)
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, lightly toasted
- 2 tablespoons chopped tarragon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 12 slices seeded rye or whole wheat bread
- 6 romaine lettuce leaves
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
Fill a medium pot with water and bring to a boil over high heat. Add chicken, cover and return to a boil. Simmer chicken for 2 to 3 minutes, then turn off the heat and let the chicken steep, covered, until no longer pink in the thickest part of the breast, 8 to 12 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer chicken to a plate and let cool for approximately 20 minutes. (The chicken can be prepared a day ahead of the rest of the salad, if desired.)
In a medium bowl combine celery, mayonnaise, mustard, onion, almonds, tarragon, lemon juice and pepper and stir to blend. Cut chicken into 1/2-inch cubes, then fold it into the mayonnaise mixture. Arrange 6 slices of bread on a work surface. Divide the chicken salad equally among the bread slices. Top each with a lettuce leaf, slice of tomato and second slice of bread. Cut sandwiches in half and serve.
Follow Carla on Twitter @ohcarlucha
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Miami dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More Food & Drink News
- Coyo Taco Expanding, But Not in October
Sat., Oct. 31, 8:00pm
Sat., Nov. 7, 7:00pm
Thu., Dec. 3, 6:30pm
Fri., Dec. 11, 6:30pm
- Krups announces Miami Nominees for Best Brew Awards
- McDonald's Offers All-Day Breakfast in Miami