Top Ten Generous Celebrity Tippers
Last week, we took a look at a slew of websites devoted to stingy celebrity tippers, and compiled our master list of the ten most notorious cheapskates. Now it's time to cross over to the sunny side of the street, where the "haves" have not just money, but class. The person who topped our prior post of tightwads was Tiger Woods; the person most gracious with gratuities has had just as rough a year. Here are ten tippers to whom we tip our cap:
10. Scott Storch was cited by Jacqueline Kravette, on Huffington Post, as one of the best tippers in Los Angeles. "Service people will drop whatever they are doing once he falls upon the scene," writes Kravette. "He rewarded a bellman at a trendy Hollywood hotel $100 to get him a pack of cigarettes." He has also been cited as "giving serious dinero over to (his) servers." This was all presumably before he "snorted his way to ruin."
9. Jessica Simpson: She may not be able to differentiate tuna from chicken, but Ms. Simpson apparently knows how to take care of wait staff. According to milliontalks.com, which placed Jessica among its Best Celebrity Tippers, Jessica recently dined with her mother, assistant, and two other friends at New York's Lavo restaurant and deposited a $300 tip on a $500 bill. But that's not all. She also left a note for the waitress: "You were amazing and make this world a better place, Love Jess."
8. Barack Obama: The President appears on many a list of generous tippers. According to the one assembled by the Christian Personal Finance website -- and they should know something about being charitable -- while in the Raleigh Times Bar in Raleigh, North Carolina, Obama "paid for a $2 beer with a twenty, and told the bartender to keep the change." Zimbio.com calls that "change we can believe in." TMZ.com originally broke this compelling story, and it also reported two weeks ago that President Obama "dropped more than $200" on a burger lunch for he and campaign staff at Ted's Bulletin Restaurant in Washington, D.C., and "tipped more than 35%." To be fair, it is said that the Republican Presidential candidates running against Barack have likewise been leaving hefty gratuities. Funny thing is, they give the tips to the corporate owners of the establishments rather than to the workers.
7. Paris Hilton: This sweet little thing has a heart of gold -- at least when it comes to treating workers right. The heiress shows up on list after list of magnanimous tippers (her presence each time described with the word "surprisingly"). Still, "She meets and greets everyone personally and is never rude," insists one source for The Sun. This view is echoed by glamorati.com on its Top 20 Tipper post: "Is said to always take care of wait staff and tip handsomely. She's also generous with hairdressers, manicurists, valets and drivers."
6. Russell Crowe: Every dark cloud has its silver lining, and Hollywood's tempestuous star has an apparent knack for brightening the moods of those who serve him. He comes in at number six on both christianpf.com and zimbio.com's 10 Best Celebrity Tippers. Who are we to argue? The latter site writes of a vacation in South Wales during which "Crowe stopped by the Carew Inn in Tenby for a quick pint with friends, and ended up leaving a 600 pound tip." He also played guitar and sang for the crowd.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Miami dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.