About two years ago, food trucks began appearing in Miami almost as if by magic. Then, like rabbits, they started to multiply. But did anyone stop to think what went on in the lives of food truck owners before they started serving yummy food on the go? We asked and got some really cool answers about the secret life of food truck owners:
6. Slow Food Truck co-owner Oren Bass played poker semiprofessionally in 2006 and was sponsored in the 2006 WSOP (World Series of Poker). His partner Zach Schwartz has missed only one Dolphins game in the past ten years, and the reason for missing that one game was because it was his wedding weekend and he was on a cruise.
5. Lemon Man owner Paul Huizenga is a wildlife photographer who has exhibited at the last two Art Basel events. He's had a few shows at Miami Springs City Hall. He gets his inspiration from traveling around the world with his mother.
4. Stephanie Diaz of Sugar Rush has a cupcake tattoo. Talk about really getting into your work!
3. Chef Brian Aaron of Aaron's Catering Express was featured on the Food Network's 24 Hour Restaurant Battle. By the way, he won. Brian was also just named one of the 68 most innovative event professionals in the country by BizBash Magazine.
2. Wing Commander owner Bill Cosens was in the Air Force for eight years before starting Wing Commander with his wife Allison. He was an air traffic controller, airfield officer, and protocol offcer before leaving the Air Force in 2008 at the rank of captain. While stationed at Ramstein Air Force Base in Germany, Bill cooked wings for his entire squadron. They were all ecstatic, because it's impossible to find chicken wings in Germany. That's how Wing Commander got its name. It is an actual title in the Air Force, usually held by a brigadier general.
1. ShaoRoma's owner and chef, Constantin, has five black belts and was on the Romanian Olympic team. He won a gold medal in the national martial arts championship in 1996.
Friday, July 8
Food truck roundup at the Miami Fair & Expo Center tonight from 6 to 11 p.m. Free parking, but no pets or glass allowed. Trucks include B.C. Tacos, Catered Bliss, CheeseMe, Chef on Wheels, Cold Stone Creamery, Dim Ssäm à Gogo, the Fish Box, the Flying Saucer, Frita Man, Grill Master Café, Giuseppe's Italian Sausage, Havana Rice, Jefe's Original Fish Taco, Kitchen Kabab, Kona Ice, Latin Burger, Latin House Grill, Lemon Man, the MexZican Gourmet, Miso Hungry, Mr. Good Stuff, Ms. Cheezious, Muscle Truck, Purple People Eatery, the Red Koi, the Red Truck, El Rincón del Coquí, the Rolling Stove, Sir Pizza Mobile, Slow Food Truck, Sugar Rush, and Yellow Submarine. 10901 Coral Way, Miami
Saturday, July 9
Lexus of Pembroke Pines is hosting the Party in the Pines from 4 to 9 p.m. Trucks include 4 Alarm Pizza, Churro Mania, Latin House Grill, Manga Mia, Miso Hungry, Moty's Grill, Mr. Chimi, Okay! Burger, Papa's Tapas, The Red Truck, El Rincón de Coquí, ShaoRoma, Sir Pizza Mobile, Tango Grill, and Wing Commander. Lexus of Pembroke Pines, 16150 Pines Blvd., Pembroke Pines
Food trucks will be at Midway Ford tonight from 4 to 8 p.m. Trucks serving dinner include Chamos on Wheels, Che Grill, Chef on Wheels, Coldstone Creamery, Giuseppe's Italian Sausage, Havana Rice, Kitchen Kabab, Moty's Grill, Okay! Burger, Perros Express, and El Rey de las Fritas. Midway Ford, 8155 W. Flagler St., Miami
The Wynwood Second Saturday Art Walk is tonight. Along with the art walk, Eat Street will be filming Dim Ssäm à Gogo, so come out and be on television! Trucks will serve from 6 to 11 p.m. and include B.C. Tacos, CheeseMe, Chef on 4 Wheels, Dim Ssäm à Gogo, Divan Bakery, Dog Eat Dog, Dolci Peccati, the Fish Box, the Flying Saucer, Latin Burger, Latin House Grill, Mac n' Food Truck, Manila Rice, the MexZican, Ms Cheezious, Purple People Eatery, the Red Koi, the Rolling Stove, Slow Food Truck, Sugar Rush, and Sugar Yummy Mama. 210 NW 22nd Ln., Miami
Sunday, July 10
Eat Street is filming Latin Burger from 3 to 7 p.m. at Kendall Car Wash. Trucks include CheeseMe, the Fish Box, and Sugar Rush. Kendall Car Wash, 9750 N. Kendall Dr., Miami
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!