Wednesday, July 6, 2011 at 11:04 a.m.
The pair uses natural, local ingredients in making the Italian Ice they sell from their food cart.
The watermelons come from Immokalee, Florida, just over a hundred miles from Miami. According to Diaz, "The cocktail is perfect for South Florida summers. The main reason is Florida watermelons are delicious, but they are also incredibly refreshing. They have almost a 100% yield. That means that there is very little waste when turning this fruit into juice."
Here's how to make your own watermelon mojito, after the jump.
Watermelon Mojito - For Two
1 1/2 cup Fresh Watermelon
2 Tbsp Granulated Sugar
Juice of 1/2 a Lime
10 Mint Leaves - plus some pretty ones for garnish
1/2 cup White Rum
2 Splashes of club soda
1. Place the watermelon with half of the sugar (1 Tbsp) in a blender.
2. Blend on high until smooth.
3. In a large glass muddle the remaining sugar (1 Tbsp), lime juice, and mint.
4. Add the watermelon juice and rum. Stir it.
5. Fill two glasses with ice. Pour the cocktail into the glasses. Finish with a splash of club soda and garnish with mint leaves.