The Broken Shaker's Holiday Punch: Perfect For New Year's Eve Parties (Recipe)
Get punchy this New Year's Eve.
Courtesy Broken Shaker
Ah, the holidays... a time for spending time with family and friends, exchanging gifts, and if you're really lucky, getting crunked.
Fortunately for us, Miami has more than its fair share of master mixologists, and in the spirit of giving, the Broken Shaker's Gui Jaroschy has shared one of his favorite holiday recipes with us.
See also: Miami's Ten Best Holiday Cocktails
This punch is perfect for serving at a New Year's Eve party, or for setting out early on New Year's Day. Plus, it utilizes a traditionally holidayesque beverage -- cider.
During prohibition, cider pretty much disappeared from the United States, because beer and spirits were easier to make, but as wine critic Eric Asimov recently stated in the New York Times: "If there was a national beverage in colonial America and through the first century of independence, it no doubt was cider."
Jaroschy agrees that cider is as American as apple pie and explains why it inspired him to create a cider-based holiday punch: "To me, cider is the ideal holiday beverage, serving as the perfect base in any festive punchbowl. The sweet and fruity flavors compliment your favorite spirit and spices to create a truly unique holiday refreshment."
20 ounces lemon juice
20 ounces simple syrup
750ml bottle of gin
5 bottles Rekordelig cider
30 dashes grapefruit bitters
Fresh tarragon, muddled
1. Fill a punch bowl half way with ice.
2. Add lemon juice, simple syrup, gin, Rekorderlig, and grapefruit bitters.
3. Mix in muddled tarragon with the punch and remove before serving.
Follow Ily on Twitter @realily.
Get the Dining Newsletter
The week's top local food news and events, plus interviews with chefs and restaurant owners, dining tips, and a peek at our print review.
More RESTAURANTS News
- Animal Rights Activist, Author Susan Hargreaves to Speak at Earthsave Vegan Potluck...
- Restaurant Michael Schwartz Brunch: Bottomless DIY Bloodys, Prime Rib Sandwich, and...
- Miami's Best Eats and Drinks This Weekend: WMC, Typsy Mermaid, and Florida Derby
- Freshii Opening New Location in Miami International Mall