Ten Jameson and Craft Brew Pairings for St. Patrick's Day
Nothing says St. Patrick's Day like shots of Jamo, aka Jameson, Ireland's (and America's) favorite whiskey. This popular spirit is all over the place for this weekend's festivities, from its key role in Irish Car Bombs to pairings with pickle juice.
But if you wanna get a little more creative - and double fist, to boot - why not pair your Jamo with some craft beers? Both are painstakingly made, full of flavor nuances and high in alcohol content. So we spoke to Simone Kelly, Florida's Jameson brand ambassador, on the best pairings at Miami bars. Beats green beer, any day.
10. Gordon Biersch - Jameson Original and Schwarzbier
"Literally meaning 'black beer' in German, this delectably dark lager has a surprisingly light body with a delicious, dry, roasted coffee finish. A wonderful chaser to Jameson," Kelly says.
9. Titanic Brewery - Jameson Original and Captain Smith's Rye Ale
"A German styled amber ale with a complex array of flavor, it's malty, fruity, and spicy, but slightly cereal in character. There are many similarities with this and Jameson - we use malted barley which provides a sweet cereal taste, our pot still whiskey bursts with spice and fruit, our colour is similar and we also have a smooth finish."
8. Sunset Tavern - Jameson Original and Sunset Tavern Drifer (Pale Ale)
"Locally brewed in Florida, it's a nice, light and smooth companion to drink with Jameson Original."
7. Town Kitchen & Bar - Jameson Original and Well's Banana Bread Beer
"This makes for an interesting pairing. The banana flavours match the fruitiness of Jameson well. Jameson infused with banana is becoming a popular fad."
6. Yard House - Jameson Original and Brooklyn Brown Ale
"This fits nicely as Brooklyn is the home of Jameson in the U.S. Brown Ale is full-flavored but retains a smoothness and easy drinkability that has made it one of the most popular dark beers in the Northeast," says Kelly, similar to Jameson's triple distilled smoothness.
5. Bar Louie - Jameson Original and Woodchuck Amber Cider
Hey, cider is beer too - kinda. And it's a favorite drink among the Irish, so it's especially appropriate this week.
"Its amber colour, apple fruitiness and crisp finish resemble Jameson. It's also naturally gluten free," Kelly says.
4. Oak Tavern - Jameson Original and Monk in the Trunk
"This copper coloured ale derives its fruity, slightly spicy aroma from Authentic Belgian Abbey yeast, which pairs perfectly with the pot still spice and fruit of Jameson," Kelly describes. And both are inherently drinkable.
3. Burger & Beer Joint - Jameson Original and Breckenridge Vanilla Porter
The chocolate and roasted nut flavors of a classic Porter complement the vanilla sweetness and toasted oak and nutty notes in Jameson Original, according to Kelly.
2. Abbey Brewing Co. - Jameson Original and Father Theodore's Stout
"This house recipe Stout is deep black in color and has a chocolate, coffee, roasted toffee and anise flavors," Kelly says, which pairs perfectly with the sweetness in the grain whiskey.
1. Blackbird Ordinary - Jameson Original and Innis & Gunn Irish Whiskey Cask
Innis & Gunn is aged for 60 days in whiskey barrels, which makes it an obvious fit for Jamo.
"Jameson Original is filled with notes of sherry richness, vanilla sweetness and toasted oak. This pairs beautifully with the chocolate and treacle taste of the Innis & Gunn," Kelly says.
And really, aren't spirits and beer a match made in heaven?
"It's kind of fun to pick apart the production process behind each and see where the flavors are coming from and compare them with Jameson and see how they complement each other nicely. It's kind of a more interesting way of drinking," Kelly adds.
Follow Hannah on Twitter @hannahalexs.
5813 Ponce de Leon Blvd.
Coral Gables, FL 33146
Get the Dining Newsletter
The week's top local food news and events, plus interviews with chefs and restaurant owners, dining tips, and a peek at our print review.
More RESTAURANTS News
- Animal Rights Activist, Author Susan Hargreaves to Speak at Earthsave Vegan Potluck...
- Restaurant Michael Schwartz Brunch: Bottomless DIY Bloodys, Prime Rib Sandwich, and...
- Miami's Best Eats and Drinks This Weekend: WMC, Typsy Mermaid, and Florida Derby
- Freshii Opening New Location in Miami International Mall