Shots Miami Invites You to Drink Anthrax With a Sex Toy (Photos)
It's like playing dressup -- with alcohol.
All photos by Laine Doss
When Shots Miami postponed its coming-soon party because of that pesky Tropical Storm Debby, I was kind of heartbroken. After all, I really wanted to experience this bar where you're made to dress in character or perform an action while downing neon-colored shots -- especially since the bar seemed to polarize so much of Miami. In the comments section of my original post, there was a complete love-it-or-hate-it attitude. Wynwoodian123, for example, wrote this:
I don't personally don't think this is up to par with Wynwood's up and
coming chick, hip, artsy theme. I also don't think I would like to share
a dirty cape or boa for $6. There much better places in wynwood to have
a drink and have fun with friends without acting like you're 17
drinking with some friends in a basement hiding from their parents,
doing pretty dumb things... [sic]
On the other end of the spectrum, domi1109 wrote:
I think this is brilliant and creative! I definitely will be stopping by
tomorrow to check this out! Sounds like a good time. The last thing
your [sic] worried about when your [sic] having a good time is if the cape is dirty. lol.
Do you remember the freak shows at carnivals? Whenever they would advertise a two-headed snake or the world's smallest woman, I'd have to plunk down my quarter to see for myself. So it was only natural that I checked out Shots Miami. It wasn't too difficult to get a group of gals together with the promise of "shots, funny costumes, and a lot of Facebook-worthy pictures."
Here's what I learned:
1. There are some kinks to be worked out. Some of the bartenders/shot girls didn't really know what went into the shots or what action or costume was supposed to go with which shot.
2. Go with an open mind -- and at least one friend who's up for anything. Some of the shots involve canoodling with blow-up sex dolls, drinking from faux boobs or penises, and dancing with a skeleton. Leave your uptight selves at the door, please -- this is not the place for it.
3. Order the flaming shots. Before you down the shot, the bartender sprays overproof rum all over the metal bar with a supersoaker and then lights the entire mother up! Plus, the Anthrax and Chipotle were two of the better-tasting shots. The Chipotle has a hint of jalapeño and rum, while the Anthrax is made with blue Curaçao, gin, and some white powdered
4. That's a real sword, so be careful when ordering the Flaming Samurai. You could poke out an eye with that thing. Note to management: You might want to replace it with a fake saber. Just saying.
Have to experience it to write about it.....
5. This place will make a load of money off birthday celebrations and bachelorette parties. For some reason, women think it's a hoot to dress up in silly hats and pose with blow-up sex dolls. Which means savvy single straight men will also give this bar a try. Who knows? Maybe they'll learn the pleasure of getting bonked on the head with a toy mallet while screaming "I'm alive!" before downing a dose of liquid party.
In conclusion: Lighten up, Miami. This is just plain fun!
As Tom Cruise said in the movie Cocktail (back when he was cuter and less crazy): "Why don't you just have a shot! Bar's open!"
He's cut off.
So are they...
Shots Miami will be opening soon. Follow it on Facebook for updates.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Miami dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.