September 2014 in Miami will be remembered for two things -- endless days of torrential rain and the opening of Iron Chef Morimoto's restaurant at the Shelborne Wyndham South Beach. Of course, the "official" opening isn't until today, but if you've been on social media, you've seen practically everyone in Miami snapping pics of the celebrity chef pouring sake or making a 120 foot long sushi roll. If you think Morimoto is theatrical, check out The Drawing Room, which also shares real estate at the Shelborne Wyndham South Beach, where mixologist Albert Trummer mixes potions and elixirs specially designed to cure what ails you.
As far as closings go, there's not much to report. Lippi, the opulent Brickell restaurant co-owned by Tunu Puri, has closed. In its place will be Tamarina, a more streamlined, moderately priced restaurant (also co-owned by Tunu Puri, along with wife Yona).
Cavalli Lounge has temporarily closed for renovation, although the ground floor restaurant remains open for dinner. The lounge, which is scheduled to reopen October 20 or 24, will get an upgraded, "fresh new look" that would also make "the option to dine upstairs more appealing".
- Babylon Turkish Restaurant
- Ball & Chain
- Biscayne Bay Brewing Co. (open for production only)
- The Drawing Room
- Hannya Asian Cuisine
- Jalapeño Mexican Kitchen
- Krispy Kreme (Hialeah)
- Lilt Lounge at the Epic
- Miam Cafe & Boutique
- Morimoto South Beach
- Segundo Muelle
- The Seven Dials
- Station 5 Table & Bar
- The Vagabond Pool Bar (restaurant to open soon)
- Vintro Hotel & Kitchen
- 27 at Freehand - First drinks, now eats by our favorite bartenders.
- American Social - Fort Lauderdale gastropub opening in Brickell.
- Bake House - Opening in Miami Beach.
- Antonio Bachour to open a shop.
- Bikini Barista - coming to midtown.
- Bodega - opening in South Beach.
- Boxelder - Craft beer shop coming to Wynwood.
- Campania - Italian fare from the owners of Sardinia.
- China Grill - Moving to Brickell.
- Cleo - Opening at the Redbury.
- Scott Conant - Celebrity chef/owner of Scarpetta planning another Miami restaurant.
- Coyo - Taco bar to open in Wynwood.
- Cibo Wine Bar - The second location, coming soon.
- Tom Colicchio's as-yet unnamed restaurant at the 1 Hotel and Homes South Beach.
- Crust - Pizza on Brickell by Klime Kovaceski.
- The Daily Creative Food Co. - opening in Miami Beach.
- Estefan Kitchen - Gloria and Emilio are at it again.
- Freddo- Coming to Lincoln Road.
- Freshii - Casual healthy eating chain coming to Miami.
- Gravity Brewlab - Opening in Wynwood.
- Habeas Corpus - A new restaurant by the B&S owners.
- La Moderna - Opening in SoBe.
- Mellow Mushroom - Stoner themed pizza chain opening in Miami.
- MIA Brewing Co. - Opening soon in Doral.
- Midtown Oyster Bar - Graspa Group gets fishy.
- Milk Burger - New York burger joint teasing us with hints of a Miami location.
- Moye - Italian cuisine by the owners of Sardinia.
- Ms. Cheezious - The food truck is opening a shop.
- My Ceviche - Coming to South Miami, MIA, and Coral Gables.
- NaiYaRa - Chef Bee to open Thai Asian street food bistro in SoBe.
- Nobu - Famed chef opens restaurant on Miami Beach.
- Paraiso Bay will host a Michael Schwartz restaurant.
- Persona Pizzeria - California chain coming to Miami.
- Pi Pizzeria - opening Pi'ami. li>Piripi - El Bulli veteran opening Coral Gables eatery..
- Pincho Factory - Opening another location in Hialeah.
- Poor Man's Lobster - From the folks at Mandolin.
- Red Ginger - Asian flair coming to South Beach.
- Revolution in Bloom - Vegan and vegetarian cuisine.
- STK - Reopening.
- Seagrape by Michelle Bernstein at Thompson Miami Beach Hotel - MIchelle Bernstein to open beach bistro.
- Siena Tavern - Fabio Viviani opening Italian restaurant in SoBe.
- Señor Frog's - the party comes to Miami.
- Smooshie's - Giant candy shop opening in Key Biscayne.
- Stripsteak - Michael Mina to open another restaurant at the Fountainbleau.
- Sweet Liberty Drink & Supply Company - Mixologist John Lermayer and partners to open a cocktail lounge.
- Tap 42 -Fort Lauderdale gastropub opening in Coral Gables.
- Tamarina - Mediterranean to replace Lippi.
- Taquiza - Steve Santana to open a taqueria.
- Ted's at Young Arts - Stephen Starr restaurant at Young Arts
- Tutto Il Giorno - Authentic Italian fare coming soon.
- Wood Tavern - Opening a pizzeria next door, and an upstairs lounge.
- Vagabond Restaurant - Opening fall.
- Vicky Bakery & Cafe - Opening in Coral Gables.
- J. Wakefield Brewing Company - Coming to Wynwood.
- White Lotus - James Beard-winner Matthew Kenney brings the raw food movement to Wynwood.
- Zest - Cindy Hutson opening a restaurant and fast-casual concept.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
Projects in the Works
- Steve Martorano is closer than ever to opening a Miami Beach location.