September 2012 Restaurant Openings and Closings
Acme Bakery & Coffee is a new place to get your carb and caffeine fix.
September is a transitional month for Miami. It's the time when tropical storms and hurricanes tend to be their most active (though we had one scare it luckily turned out to be a non-event), snow birds are still up north, and many folks (especially those in the biz) take a break or a quickie vacation before the season starts and we're all "in the weeds".
Still, a few restaurants managed to open in September, though it seems
like the highly anticipated spots are still biding their time until the
weather turns chillier.
What we have noticed is a tasty trend
toward bakeries, with three sweet shops opening in September: Acme
Bakery & Coffee, Lee & Marie's Cakery, and Corner Bakery Cafe.
We have no complaints, since we love a good carb and caffeine fix.
Also, 8 oz. Burger Bar,
which just opened up an North Miami Beach location, has moved out of their Alton
Road space and will relocate to 1245 Lincoln Road, former home to Kim's
Chinese, The old 8 oz. Burger Bar location is now American Burger.
Expect a busy October, as our list of coming attractions grows longer.
- Thea Pizzeria
Acme Bakery & Coffee
Lee & Marie's Cakery
- Pao Town
Room Service Restaurant Lounge
- American Burger
- Corner Bakery Cafe
- Mr. Frog's
8 oz. Burger Bar (Miami Beach location is moving to Lincoln Road)
- Brewhouse - Chow Down's replacement. Josh Marcus' is planning to make South Beach fate night better than dinner and a movie.
- 8oz. Burger Bar - moving to the old Kim's Chinese spot.
- Alba - Ralph Pagano's restaurant to open in October.
- Villa Mayfair - High end Coconut Grove establishment is scheduled to reopen in October.
- Khong - Asian concept from John Kunkel and 50 Eggs. Speaking of 50 Eggs.....
- Swine Southern Table & Bar - Yardbird's pork-centric sister (also from 50 Eggs) is scheduled for a winter debut. And more 50 Eggs news....
- A fast-casual Asian concept, also by 50 Eggs, is coming to South Beach, adjacent to the original Lime on Alton Road.
- The Broken Shaker - the Bar Lab guys are bringing back their pop-up. For keeps.
- South Street Restaurant & Bar - Former Sra. Martinez space turns soulful (from Gigi's Amir Ben-Zion). Speaking of....
- Cooper Avenue - A city of food based on outer boroughs Brooklyn and Queens opens in the fall. Again from Amir Ben-Zion.
- Panther Coffee is coming to South Beach.
- Loft opens in Midtown sometime in the late fall.
Florida Cookery - Kris Wessel opens at The Royal Palm in October.
- Dylan's Candy Bar - Ralph Lauren's daughter is sweet on Lincoln Road - coming in November.
- Sakaya Kitchen - Planned expansion by owner Richard Hales.
- Cibo Wine Bar - The second location, coming this fall.
- The Cheese Course - A downtown Miami location to open in the fall.
- Pride and Joy - Myron Mixon's BBQ mecca opens in Wynwood this September.
- HuaHua's - Todd Erickson's Lincoln Road tacqueria.
- Frita Shop - Alberto Cabrera's Cuban burger joint.
- Yard House - Chain grub with many many beers.
- MC Kitchen - Dena Marino in the former Fratelli Lyon Space, scheduled to open in the fall.
- Cipriani - New York icon due at the Icon Brickell this fall.
- La Cantina 20 - Another Icon tenant getting set to move in.
- Catch - By Top Chef's Hung Huynh, due in SoBe this November.
- Restaurant du Cap - Philippe Ruiz' much anticipated venue coming to Brickell in November.
- The Restaurant at The Raleigh - Michael Schwartz' venture arriving fall/winter 2013.
- Ikea - Coming 2014
- Trader Joe's - Coming to Pinecrest
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Miami dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More Food & Drink News
- Miami's Best Eats and Drinks This Weekend: Boat Show, V-Day, Coconut Grove Arts Festival
Tue., Mar. 1, 8:00pm
Fri., Mar. 18, 8:00pm
Sat., Mar. 19, 8:00pm
Tue., Mar. 22, 8:00pm
- Five Best Places to Eat Alone in Miami on Valentine's Day
- Zak the Baker to Become a Kosher Deli as Breadmaking Moves Down the Street