Roach-Infested Sub Shop
Roaches. Love em', hate em', eat em'. Or don't, at least not at a North Miami Quiznos location (11850 Biscayne Blvd., North Miami). The restaurant was temporarily closed down on December 4 by the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation after inspectors found 12 violations, which they termed "critical." .
Some highlights of the state report:
- 27 DEAD ROACHES BEHIND WASHER AND 3 COMPARTMENT SINK
- 4 DEAD ROACH BEHIND PREP TABLE
- 13 LIVE ROACHES BEHIND WASHER AND DRYER NEXT TO 3 COMPARTMENT SINK
- 1 LIVE ROACH ON WALL ADJACENT TO WALK IN COOLER
- 3 LIVE ROACHES BEHIND MOTION DETECTOR IN KITCHEN AREA
- 1 LIVE ROACH ON FLOOR IN FOOD PREP AREA
- 1 LIVE ROACH IN ONE COMPARTMENT SINK
- 3 LIVE BEHIND PREP TABLE IN FRONT AREA
- No currently certified food service manager on duty with four or more employees engaged in food preparation.
- No proof of required employee training provided. All public food service establishments must provide the division with proof of employee training upon request, including, but not limited to, at the time of any division inspection of the establishment.
According to the owner, who gave her name only as Abigail, the restaurant has a contract with Terminix fumigation service, which accounts for all the dead roaches found. "It was just a one time accident that was beautifully and competently handled," she says, adding that the place was only closed for 10 hours.
Abigail added that the restaurant has an exemplary record. Indeed a July 9, 2008 inspection showed no violations.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Miami dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More Food & Drink News
- Hurricane Party and Survival Tips From Miami's Best Chefs
Sat., Oct. 24, 7:00pm
Sat., Oct. 31, 8:00pm
Sat., Nov. 7, 7:00pm
Fri., Dec. 11, 6:30pm
- Miami Dolphins Get Stadium, Food Upgrades: Sloppy Joe's, Versailles, Bodega Taqueria y...
- Stripsteak Brunch: Braised Bacon, Blueberry Ricotta Pancakes, and an Endless Dessert...