Fresh Cucumber & Dill Toasted Almond Salad
This unique salad of crisp cucumber, green onions and fresh dill is complemented by toasted quinoa and almonds. Gluten-free and vegetarian.
Serves 4 to 6.
½ cup (125 mL) sliced raw almonds
1 cup (250 mL) white or golden quinoa
2 cups (500 mL) vegetable or chicken stock
3 Tbsp (45 mL) extra virgin olive oil
3 Tbsp (45 mL) white wine vinegar or white rice vinegar
½ tsp (2 mL) salt
2 cups (500 mL) chopped English cucumber
½ cup (125 mL) sliced green onion
¼ cup (60 mL) chopped fresh dill
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC). Spread the almonds evenly on a baking sheet and bake on the center oven rack for 5 -7 minutes until the almonds are fragrant and lightly toasted. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Place the dry quinoa in a large saucepan and heat the quinoa on a medium setting. Shake the saucepan from side to side occasionally to turn the quinoa and toast it evenly (Note: if you use a saucepan with a larger bottom it will toast faster).
- Toast the quinoa for 3 to 5 minutes until fragrant but still white or golden in color. Add the vegetable or chicken stock to the saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and cover. Simmer for 10 minutes, then turn the heat off but keep the covered saucepan on the burner for an additional 3 minutes. Remove the saucepan lid, fluff the quinoa with a fork and allow to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar and salt. Add the oil mixture to the saucepan of cooled quinoa and mix thoroughly.
- In a large bowl, toss together the quinoa, cucumber, green onion and dill. Just before serving sprinkle with the toasted almonds. Best if enjoyed immediately but can be refrigerated in a sealed container for up to 4 days.
Quinoa 365:The Everyday Superfood
Authors:Patricia Green and Carolyn Hemming
Food photography:Ryan Szulc
Whitecap Books, Canada
Price: $29.95 for the 198-page book.$19.77 on Amazon.
Rank on Amazon: #8,236 - but #5 in the Rice & Grains category.