Maybe the economy hasn't tanked after all. How else can you explain shelling out $26,000 for dinner?
hat's how much it costs to enjoy La Castagne's nine course truffle dinner for four. The Philadelphia restaurant conceptualized a dining event that is "the most extravagant and exclusive in the entire world," according to Anthony Masapollo, managing partner of Le Castagne, as quoted in a press release.
Of course, it would be hard to get anyone to shell out $26k just for din din, so La Castagne has included some incentives. Behind door number one, you have one full-day cooking class with La Castagne's executive chef, Michael DeLone. Behind door number two you have one "47mm Panerai Luminor Submersible 1950 Amagnetic 3 Days Automatic Titanio wristwatch, a limited-edition Italian time piece manufactured by Officine Panerai." Whatever that is... Kidding! I looked it up; it's an expensive watch.
The menu boasts the "rarest ingredients in the world." Follow the jump for a gander at the most expensive nine course dinner on the planet.
- Puree of pumpkin soup, faro almonds, pumpkin oil and white truffles
- Milanese style egg, truffle bread crumb, spinach, roasted cherry tomatoes, truffle vinaigrette and humboldt fog goat cheese
- Beef tartare with marinated pioppini mushrooms, shaved Parmesan cheese, quail egg, and white truffle ricotta mousse
- Tagliatelle con Tartuffe bianchi pasta with Parmesan cheese sauce and white shaved truffle
- Veal rack, roasted baby potatoes, turnips, bacon, Parmesan and shaved white truffle
- Roasted quail stuffed with house-made sausage, potato, guanciale and finished with black truffle demi-glace
- Creamy polenta, wild mushrooms, pancetta and shaved white truffles
- Fillet of dover sole stuffed with scallop, shrimp mousse and black truffle beurre blanc
- Chocolate lava cake with truffle ricotta gelato and honey
- Wine pairing with each course from the world-renowned Antinori Estates
Here's a video of La Castagne:
I'll admit I've never heard of pumpkin oil, but I'm pretty sure you can find almost anything on that menu right here in the 305. And wine pairing? You'd think the $26K tab would include an open bar.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
So party of four gets to mangiare, but only one of the four gets a watch and a cooking class? That doesn't seem fair. Especially if gratuity isn't included. What's 25 percent of $26,000?
Follow Ily on Twitter @realily.