October 2014 Restaurant Openings and Closings
Miami Smokers brings fresh bacon to Miami.
Photo by Carla Torres
October in Miami is still considered a transitional month. Although the weather is getting better, many restaurants are still working on their progress, hosting family & friends dinners and putting the finishing touches on their menus in anticipation for a late fall opening in time for Art Basel and "season". Places we're looking forward to include Fabio Viviani's Siena Tavern; the Vagabond Restaurant; The Rum Line; and Seagrape at the Thompson Miami Beach (by chef Michelle Bernstein).
Some notable openings in October included Moye, a restaurant by Sardinia Enoteca owners Tony Gallo and Pietro Vardeu; and Miami Smokers, where Miamians can get freshly smoked and cured meats from heritage-breed pigs free of antibiotics and hormones.
Then there was Barley & Swine, the Kendall gastropub that was forced to close due to construction and ventilation issues in its building. Fortunately, owner Jorgie Ramos would not "go gently into that good night" and, with a little ingenuity, reopened his restaurant as Barley & Wich, a sandwich-driven concept with items that require less grill time.
Miami took some hits in the closing department. Taperia Raca, the MiMo tapas restaurant by Eating House's Giorgio Rapicavoli and Alex Casanova, closed abruptly; and Tobacco Road, the iconic bar and restaurant closed after decades and decades of memories. For those of you jonesing for a death burger, the Tobacco Road food truck is operational at the restaurant's parking lot.
- Barley & Wich
- Gelato Go (New location at 360 SE First Street)
- Miami Smokers
- Palmas Cafe
- Proof Pizza & Pasta
- Tobacco Road Food Truck
- Vicky Bakery & Cafe in Coral Gables
Closings and Coming Attractions on the next page...
Last Call for Tobacco Road
Photo by Laine Doss
- Barley & Swine (Reopened as Barley & Wich)
- The Cocktail Collection at Tobacco Road
- Taperia Raca
- Tobacco Road
- 1930's House - Opening at Thompson Miami Beach.
- 27 at Freehand - First drinks, now eats by our favorite bartenders, the Broken Shaker guys.
- American Social - Fort Lauderdale gastropub opening in Brickell.
- Bake House - Opening in Miami Beach.
- Antonio Bachour to open a shop.
- Bikini Barista - coming to midtown.
- Bodega - opening in South Beach.
- Boxelder - Craft beer shop coming to Wynwood.
- Brasserie Central - Authentic French Bistro coming to Coral Gables.
- Campania - Italian fare from the owners of Sardinia.
- China Grill - Moving to Brickell. li>Cibo Wine Bar - The second location, coming soon.
- Cleo - Opening at the Redbury.
- Corsair - Scott Conant, celebrity chef/owner of Scarpetta, planning another Miami restaurant.
- Coyo - Taco bar to open in Wynwood. Tom Colicchio's as-yet unnamed restaurant at the 1 Hotel and Homes South Beach.
- Crown Room - Lounge opening at Thompson Miami Beach
- Crust - Pizza on Brickell by Klime Kovaceski.
- The Daily Creative Food Co. - opening in Miami Beach.
- Estefan Kitchen - Gloria and Emilio are at it again.
- Freddo- Coming to Lincoln Road.
- Freshii - Casual healthy eating chain coming to Miami.
- Gravity Brewlab - Opening in Wynwood.
- Harry's Pizzeria - Chef Michael Schwartz to open location in Coconut Grove.
- Issy's Fish & Oyster - Chef Jamie DeRosa plans a New England fish shack.
- Klima Restaurant & Bar - Opening soon.
- La Moderna - Opening in SoBe.
- Little Bread Cuban Sandwich Co. - Opening soon.
- The Lunchbox - Opening in Wynwood.
- Mellow Mushroom - Stoner themed pizza chain opening in Miami.
- MIA Brewing Co. - Taproom opening soon in Doral.
- Midtown Oyster Bar - Graspa Group gets fishy.
- Milk Burger - New York burger joint teasing us with hints of a Miami location.
- Ms. Cheezious - The food truck is opening a shop.
- My Ceviche - Coming to South Miami, MIA, and Coral Gables.
- NaiYaRa - Chef Bee to open Thai Asian street food bistro in SoBe.
- Nobu - Famed chef opens restaurant on Miami Beach.
- Paraiso Bay will host a Michael Schwartz restaurant.
- Persona Pizzeria - California chain coming to Miami.
- Pi Pizzeria - opening Pi'ami. li>Piripi - El Bulli veteran opening Coral Gables eatery.
- Pincho Factory - Opening another location in Hialeah.
- Poor Man's Lobster - From the folks at Mandolin.
- Red Ginger - Asian flair coming to South Beach.
- Revolution in Bloom - Vegan and vegetarian cuisine.
- STK - Reopening.
- Seagrape by Michelle Bernstein at Thompson Miami Beach Hotel - MIchelle Bernstein to open beach bistro.
- Siena Tavern - Fabio Viviani opening Italian restaurant in SoBe.
- Señor Frog's - the party comes to Miami.
- SooWoo - Opening soon.
- Stripsteak - Michael Mina to open another restaurant at the Fountainbleau.
- Sugar Yummy Mama - Opening a window in Wynwood.
- Sweet Liberty Drink & Supply Company - Mixologist John Lermayer and partners to open a cocktail lounge.
- Tap 42 -Fort Lauderdale gastropub opening in Coral Gables.
- Tamarina - Mediterranean to replace Lippi.
- Taquiza - Steve Santana to open a taqueria.
- Ted's at Young Arts - Stephen Starr restaurant at Young Arts
- Tutto Il Giorno - Authentic Italian fare coming soon.
- Wood Tavern - Opening a pizzeria next door, and an upstairs lounge.
- Vagabond Restaurant - Opening fall.
- J. Wakefield Brewing Company - Coming to Wynwood.
- Which Wich - OPening several locations in Miami.
- White Lotus - James Beard-winner Matthew Kenney brings the raw food movement to Wynwood.
- Zest - Cindy Hutson opening a restaurant and fast-casual concept.
Projects in the Works
- Steve Martorano is closer than ever to opening a Miami Beach location.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Miami dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.