October 2012 Restaurant Openings and Closings
Toro Toro opens in downtown Miami.
Open your windows, turn off your air conditioner and enjoy this glorious weather! It's fall in Miami and as the temperature cools off, the restaurant scene heats up!
Already we're seeing restaurants come onto the scene in anticipation of the arrival of snowbirds flying south for the winter, tourists coming for a winter tan, and a slew of major events like Art Basel and the South Beach Wine and Food Festival.
- In South Street and Cooper Avenue, Miami's Hottest Restaurateur Embarks on His Most Ambitious Ventures
- Toro Toro: Rodizio Grill and Crafted Cocktails in Downtown Miami
- Three New British-Inspired Spots to Open in Brickell
This month we welcomed the arrival of two new Amir Ben-Zion ventures -- multi-use Cooper Avenue, which features everything from cocktails by Bar Lab to take-out sandwiches, and South Street, a restaurant blending soul food with soulful tunes.
Other notable restaurants to open in October include Toro Toro at the Intercontinental Hotel and The Hoxton in Brickell.
And we welcome back Joe's Stone Crab for the start of their 100th year of giving Miami crabs.
We're pleased to note that only a few restaurants ended their run, the only surprise being Georgia's Union, which closed after only a three-month run. Eating House makes our list, but not for long. The restaurant, which started as a pop-up, then closed, then reopened as a pop-up (whew), has closed for some further renovations and will open in a few weeks as a permanent addition to Miami's restaurant scene.
Looking forward, we're anticipating Kris Wessel's Florida Cookery, Dena Marino's MC Kitchen, and 50 Egg's Khong in the near future -- to name but a few.
- Abuela's Cuban Kitchen
- Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza
- Buddha Sushi Bar
- Cheese Course in Aventura Mall
- Cooper Avenue
- Hyde at American Airlines Arena
- La Suite
Machiya Ramen Noodle House
Room Service Restaurant Lounge
- South Street
- The Hoxton
Thea Pizzeria and Cafe
- Toro Toro
Welcome Back/Changes For The Better
- Joe's Stone Crab - Reopening for their 100th season. That's staying power.
- Love Hate Lounge- The tattoo-centric bar now serving food.
Wall Lounge - New look, new cocktails
- Wetlab (Or Rose's) reopens on Key Biscayne
- MB Brewhouse - Josh Marcus turns Chow Down Grill into a casual, fun place for awesome beers.
8oz. Burger Bar - Moving to the old Kim's Chinese spot.
- Wynwood Brewing Company
- Opening in November.
- Jefe's Original Fish Taco & Burger - One of Miami's first food trucks goes brick and mortar.
- Eating House - Set to open in November (for good this time).
- Cypress Room - Michael Schwartz upscale tavern to open early 2013.
- Momi Ramen - Noodles are the new cupcake.
- Buddha Sushi Bar - Opening another location on Lincoln Road.
- Casablanca on the Bay - Second location for Casablanca Seafood opening at Doubletree Grand Biscayne Bay in November.
- N Lounge - Kevin Cory to open a lounge next door to NAOE.
- Oak Tavern - David Bracha moving a giant tree into the Design District.
- Salsa Fiesta - The fresh taco joine is opening an Aventura location.
- Barceloneta - The Pubbelly guys are expanding into South Miami.
- Orchid - Michelle Bernstein cooks for this pop-up show featuring dancing flowers.
- Bar Louie - Cocktail chain featuring extended happy hour coming to midtown in November.
- Boxpark - The Hoxton's sibling, coming soon.
- Harvey Wolf - Completes the trio of European pubs, along with Boxpark and The Hoxton.
- Siga la Vaca - Follow the cow and eat its flesh in Coral Gables.
- Alba - Ralph Pagano's restaurant to open December 1.
- VooDoo BBQ and Grill - Bringing some mojo to Kendall.
- Khong - Asian concept from John Kunkel and 50 Eggs. Speaking of 50 Eggs.....
- Swine Southern Table & Bar - Yardbird's pork-centric sister (also from 50 Eggs) is scheduled for a winter debut. And more 50 Eggs news....
- A fast-casual Asian concept, also by 50 Eggs, is coming to South Beach, adjacent to the original Lime on Alton Road.
- The Broken Shaker - the Bar Lab guys are bringing back their pop-up. For keeps.
- Panther Coffee - coming to South Beach.
- Loft opens in Midtown sometime in the late fall.
- Florida Cookery - Kris Wessel opens at The Royal Palm in November.
- Dylan's Candy Bar - Ralph Lauren's daughter is sweet on Lincoln Road - coming in November.
- Sakaya Kitchen - Planned expansion by owner Richard Hales.
- Cibo Wine Bar - The second location, coming this fall.
- Pride and Joy - Myron Mixon's BBQ mecca opens in Wynwood this fall.
- HuaHua's - Todd Erickson's Lincoln Road tacqueria.
- Frita Shop - Alberto Cabrera's Cuban burger joint.
- Yard House - Chain grub with many many beers.
- MC Kitchen - Dena Marino in the former Fratelli Lyon Space, scheduled to open in the fall.
- Cipriani - New York icon due at the Icon Brickell this fall.
- La Cantina 20 - Another Icon tenant getting set to move in.
- Catch - By Top Chef's Hung Huynh, due in SoBe this November.
- Restaurant du Cap - Philippe Ruiz' much anticipated venue coming to Brickell in November.
- The Restaurant at The Raleigh - Michael Schwartz' venture arriving fall 2012/winter 2013.
- Ikea - Coming 2014
- Trader Joe's - Coming to Pinecrest in 2013
- Burr's Berry Farm - Opening for the season in late November
- Villa Mayfair - Reopening in late 2012
- Hoops Coconut Grove - Sports bar opening late fall
- Democratic Republic of Beer - opening second location in downtown Miami
Get the Dining Newsletter
The week's top local food news and events, plus interviews with chefs and restaurant owners, dining tips, and a peek at our print review.
More RESTAURANTS News
- Animal Rights Activist, Author Susan Hargreaves to Speak at Earthsave Vegan Potluck...
- Restaurant Michael Schwartz Brunch: Bottomless DIY Bloodys, Prime Rib Sandwich, and...
- Miami's Best Eats and Drinks This Weekend: WMC, Typsy Mermaid, and Florida Derby
- Freshii Opening New Location in Miami International Mall