November 2013 Restaurant Openings and Closings
Lorenzo opened in South Beach in November.
Even as 2013 winds down, Miami heats up with Art Basel taking over both the beach and the mainland as thousands of people swarm to our city for parties, food, and drinks -- all in the name of art.
With that, many restaurants are planning pop-ups, while others plan to open their doors this week.
As far as openings in November, the most anticipated were Lorenzo, chef Tony Mantuano's Italian bistro at the Redbury South Beach; and Lure Fishbar, the New York seafood palace at the Loews Miami Beach that's set for a grand opening tonight.
See also: Lester's in Wynwood is Closing
The most shocking closings were Lester's in Wynwood, which was loved for both its food, drinks, and sense of community; and Box Park, which shuttered despite good reviews and an exciting menu. John's Tacos has moved out of the space shared with Josh's Deli. It will reopen as a pop-up in Wynwood for Art Basel, then will open permanently in Wynwood in January.
December is looking to be a busy month with Bobby Flay opening his Bobby's Burger Palace in Dadeland; Richard Hales opening Blackbrick in Midtown; and Gaston Acurio bringing La Mar to the Mandarin Oriental.
Pop-Ups for Art Basel
- Drinking Room (a cocktail lounge by Giorgio Rapicavoli) at Hotel Astor
- John's Tacos will pop-up at BeeFree Media at 2312 N. Miami Ave. for Art Basel.
- Michael Schwartz pop-up at Design Miami
- Michelle Bernstein will have two pop-ups at Miami Beach Botanical Garden
- Sliders Pop-Up at Hidden Kitchen at Imperial House
Continue to the next page for the Closings and Coming Attractions...
- Box Park
- John's Tacos has closed in the Josh's Deli space, but will repopen as a pop-up for Art Basel before moving permanently to Wynwood.
- The Alchemist - Multiple-course dining experiences coming to Midtown.
- Aoki Teppanyaki - Coming to Dadeland.
- Balan's - Opening another location in Dadeland.
- Barnickel's - Looks like they're making progress.
- Batch - Gastropub coming to Brickell.
- Biscayne Brewing Co. - Fresh beer coming soon.
- Blackbrick - Richard Hales opening a Chinese restaurant featuring tail-to-snout dining.
- Bobby Flay's Burger Palace - Coming to Dadeland.
- Bocce Bar - Timon Balloo cooks "La dolce vita".
- Brother Jimmy's BBQ - Second outpost in South Miami.
- Buns & Buns - Opening in South Miami this week.
- Cavalli Restaurant and Lounge - The fashion icon opens a restaurant in SoFi.
- China Grill - Moving to Brickell.
- Cibo Wine Bar - The second location, coming soon.
- Earl's Kitchen & Bar - Coming to Dadeland.
- Gravity Brewlab - Opening in Wynwood.
- Ikea - Coming 2014
- JugoFresh - Expanding their shops.
- L'Echon Brasserie - Another Pubbelly endeavor.
- La Cantina 20 - Another Icon tenant getting set to move in.
- La Mar by Gaston Acurio - Celebrity chef coming to Mandarin Oriental Miami in December.
- Laduree - Parisian macarons coming to Lincoln Road.
- Latin Burger & Taco opening in Coral Gables.
- Lokum Mediterranean Grill - Opening on Alton Road.
- Lure Fishbar - The New York seafood restaurant is coming to the Loews Miami Beach.
- MIA Brewing Co. - Opening soon in Doral.
- Michael Mina 74 -- Opening at the Fontainebleau
- Milk Burger - New York burger joint teasing us with hints of a Miami location.
- Ms. Cheezious - The food truck is opening a shop.
- N Lounge - Kevin Cory to open a lounge next door to NAOE.
- Panther Coffee is opening a location in MiMo.
- Poor Man's Lobster - From the folks at Mandolin.
- Pinkberry - Opening on Alton Road.
- Porcao Farm to Grill - Opening at Mary Brickell Village STK - Reopening in the fall.
- Shikany - Opening in Wynwood mid-January.
- Subatomic Subs - Jeremiah Bullfrog opens a sub shop.
- Traymore Restaurant and Met Bar Opening in New Metropolitan by COMO Hotel
- Via Verde Cucina Rustica - The twins behind Quattro opening an Italian cucina in Miami.
- Wood Tavern - Opening a pizzeria next door, and an upstairs lounge.
- Havana 1957 - Opening in Brickell Irish Pub's space
- Morimoto Restaurant - Opening in Shelborne South Beach
- My Ceviche - Coming to South Miami.
- 1826 Restaurant - Opening in South Beach early next year by chef Danny Grant
- J. Wakefield Brewing Company - Coming to Wynwood.
Projects in the Works
- An upscale restaurant and brewery is planned for the old Cooper Avenue space in South Beach. 4
- Tom Colicchio is opening a restaurant and will oversee f&b operations at the 1Hotel & Residences.
- Steve Martorano is closer than ever to opening a Miami Beach location.
- Top Chef Fabio Viviani opening an Italian restaurant on Miami Beach.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Miami dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More Food & Drink News
- Miami's Best Eats and Drinks This Weekend: Broadway, Beer, and Christmas
Tue., Jan. 19, 6:30pm
Wed., Jan. 20, 7:30pm
Fri., Jan. 22, 6:00pm
Sat., Jan. 23, 8:00pm
- Tamarina Debuts Brunch: All-You-Can-Eat Oysters, Pasta, and Pancakes
- Best Quick and Easy Restaurants for Art Basel 2015