Musings: South Beach Wine & Food, Midtown and Root Beer
- In light of the upcoming South Beach Wine & Food Festival, I
propose a law requiring that no posted photo of any Food Network
personality ever exceed the size of a postage stamp.
Our fine dining establishments are much improved in terms of the
quality of cuisine served, but they've still got a ways to go
The Shops At Midtown boasts a roster of incoming restaurants, none of which seems to be exactly rushing to open.
Speaking of Midtown: If anyone wants to start up a really big dining
establishment, there's about to be an empty Circuit City space
available real soon.
Root beer is an underutilized food flavoring. How about root
beer-braised brisket? Venison in root beer gastrique? A root beer-foie
gras float? On second thought, forget I mentioned it.
Oh Wagamama, where art thou? Or, for that matter,
where is any similarly cool, low-priced noodle shop in these parts?
Every upscale restaurant seems to be serving hamburgers these days.
Also macaroni & cheese. The economic downturn is presumed to be the
impetus behind this trend, but I don't recall seeing coffee shops and
diners adding foie gras and caviar to their menus during heady times.
I can't help but note that Yoo-Hoo, too, is universally shunned by chefs.
Get the Dining Newsletter
The week's top local food news and events, plus interviews with chefs and restaurant owners, dining tips, and a peek at our print review.
More RESTAURANTS News
- Animal Rights Activist, Author Susan Hargreaves to Speak at Earthsave Vegan Potluck...
- Restaurant Michael Schwartz Brunch: Bottomless DIY Bloodys, Prime Rib Sandwich, and...
- Miami's Best Eats and Drinks This Weekend: WMC, Typsy Mermaid, and Florida Derby
- Freshii Opening New Location in Miami International Mall