Miami Bartenders, Spirits Professionals Storm Tales of the Cocktail 2015
John Lermayer gives the royal treatment at Tales of the Cocktail
Courtesy of Mandarine Napoleon
If you walk into a Miami bar and find your favorite bartender missing this weekend, it's probably because they're headed to the Big Easy for Tales of the Cocktail. The annual five-day celebration of cocktails and spirits starts today, with the world's finest mixologists, restaurant owners, bar managers, brand ambassadors, and cocktail enthusiasts congregating in New Orleans to learn, taste, and compete in various competitions.
Tales is a chance for bartenders to learn new techniques and experience exotic spirits, taking home that knowledge to their bars and restaurants.
Many of Miami's top bartenders are in New Orleans and, while many are there simply to learn, the 305 is represented in many competitions, tasting rooms, and events. Here's a list of some of Miami's best and where you can find them at Tales of the Cocktail.
The Broken Shaker moves to New Orleans for a night
Photo by Laine Doss
- Gabriel Orta and Elad Zvi (Broken Shaker) - nominated for a Tales of the Cocktail Spirited Award in the Best American Hotel Bar category. The winners will be announced on Saturday, July 18, at this year’s ceremony, held at the Sheraton New Orleans.
- Gabriel Orta and Gui Jaroschy (Broken Shaker) - Olmeca Altos Street Fair on Thursday, July 16, from 3 to 6 p.m. at Il Mercato (1911 Magazine St.).
- Gabriel Orta (Broken Shaker) - Shakers and Movers Guide to Advancement Seminar on Wednesday, July 15, from 12:30 to 2 p.m. at Hotel Monteleone.
- Gabriel Orta (Broken Shaker) - Flor de Cana Tasting Room on Thursday, July 16, from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at Hotel Monteleone.
- Robert Burr (Rum Renaissance Festival) - Rum: A Tasting of 10 Rare Single Expressions on Thursday, July 16, from 10 to 11:30 a.m. at Hotel Monteleone.
- Julio Cabrera (The Regent Cocktail Club) - Dynamic Duo: Borinquen Night celebrating Puerto Rican nightlife on Friday, July 17, from 3 to 5 p.m. at Cane & Table (1113 Decatur St.).
- John Lermayer (The Regent Cocktail Club, Sweet Liberty) - Mandarine Napoléon Battle of the Sexes Cocktail Competition on Wednesday, July 15, from 3 to 6 p.m. at Napoleon House (500 Chartres St.).
- Adam Del Gucci Mane (Rec Room) - Mandarine Napoléon Battle of the Sexes Cocktail Competition on Wednesday, July 15, from 3 to 6 p.m. at Napoleon House (500 Chartres St.).
- Philip Khandehrish (The Setai) - Savory & Botanical breakfast with Boiron Fruit Purees, presented by AlambiQ on Wednesday, July 15, from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m at Hotel Monteleone.
- Jennifer Massolo (The Liquid Projects) - Tales of the Craft Tasting Room on Saturday, July 18, from 3 to 5 p.m. at Hotel Monteleone.
- Marita Leonard (High West Distillery) - Texas Ice House Experience on Thursday, July 16, from 8 to 10:30 p.m. at One-Eyed Jacks (615 Toulouse St.).
- Ezra Patek - Bon Vivant's Pig and Punch on Sunday, July 19, from noon to 5 p.m. at Washington Square (700 Elysian Fields Ave.).
- The Florida Citrus Growers - A Day in the Life of a Farmer with Tippling Bros. on Saturday, July 18, from 3:30 to 5:30 p.m. at Royal Sonesta Hotel.
- The Florida Citrus Growers - Spirited Dinner on Thursday, July 16, at 8 p.m. at Grand Isle (575 Convention Center Dr.).
Rum Renaissance's Robery Burr and bar legend Dale DeGroff
Photo by Laine Doss
Look forward to some new cocktails made with interesting bitters, exotic spirits, and even more flair when the bartenders return to Miami.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Miami dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.