Miami Bartenders in NOLA for Tales of the Cocktail
OMG, quick! Someone secure the drink cart!
Rob Montero via Facebook
OK Miami, if you're thirsty for a crafted cocktail, maybe this is a good time to just order a shot and a beer.
It's that time of year when bartenders from all over the world converge on the Crescent City for five days of debauchery and drinking -- better known as Tales of the Cocktail.
In actuality, TOTC is a huge learning tool for Miami mixologists. The multi-day event is a way for bartenders to discover new spirits and small batch distillers, learn techniques, network, and get a pulse on upcoming trends and pick the brains of peers throughout the world.
And, yes, there are some pool parties, revelry, and lots of hungover mornings. After all, you are getting a group of bartenders together in New Orleans -- this ain't exactly a Boy Scout jamboree.
So, this weekend may be a good time to learn a little more about, say, the craft beer scene in Miami. Trust me, when your favorite mixologists come back with some new recipes and skills, you'll be glad you waited.
Here are just some of the bartenders and industry people in NOLA for the weekend:
See also: Miami's Ten Best Bartenders
Photo by Laine Doss
Gabe Orta and Elad Zvi are taking Broken Shaker to NOLA, literally recreating the Miami Beach bar as a pop-up. Joining them are Virginia King, Rob Montero, and Gui Jaroschy.
- John Lermayer (The Regent Cocktail Club) hosts the Battle of the Sexes competition.
- Julio Cabrera (The Regent Cocktail Club) shakes things up at the Bacardi party.
- Dennis Luna (Oolite), a "Tales virgin", makes his way to the Big Easy
- Robert Ferrara (Lure Fishbar) is shaking things up around town.
- Robert Burr (Rum Renaissance Festival) is hosting a special rum tasting at the Sonesta.
- Gabriel Urrutia (Bacardi brand manager) hosts the Bacardi portfolio party
- Hillary Choo (St. Germain brand ambassaor) is at Tales.
- Jaki Winkles (Martin Miller's Gin brand ambassador) is hosting a Dynamic Duo bartending event.
- Marita Leonard (High West Distillery sales manager) will be at the Meet the Craft Distillers event, as well as several others.
- Philip Khandehrish (The Setai) and Isaac Grillo (Haven) have been spotted at various tasting rooms at TOTC.
Get the Dining Newsletter
The week's top local food news and events, plus interviews with chefs and restaurant owners, dining tips, and a peek at our print review.
More RESTAURANTS News
- Animal Rights Activist, Author Susan Hargreaves to Speak at Earthsave Vegan Potluck...
- Restaurant Michael Schwartz Brunch: Bottomless DIY Bloodys, Prime Rib Sandwich, and...
- Miami's Best Eats and Drinks This Weekend: WMC, Typsy Mermaid, and Florida Derby
- Freshii Opening New Location in Miami International Mall