May 2014 Restaurant Openings and Closings
Uncle Tom's is back in business.
Photo by Laine Doss
The restaurant scene, much like the weather, warmed up in Miami with several interesting additions to the community and two welcome reopenings.
Even in Miami, it's rare for a celebrity to announce a restaurant's opening, but that's just what happened this month. NFL legend (and restaurant partner) Dan Marino helped open the South Beach location of Anthony's Coal-Fired Pizza; Gloria and Emilio Estefan hosted a fete to celebrate the reopening of their Larios on the Beach; and none other than Sean "Diddy" Combs posted an announcement on Instagram about Finga Licking @Royal Castle.
Also notable is the return of Uncle Tom's Barbecue, which soft-opened this week for dinner only, and the opening of Zak the Baker's Wynwood bakery and café.
There were two closings, both of which were restaurants in nontraditional settings. Chef Jeremiah Bullfrog's Subatomic Sandwiches at the Wolfsonian-FIU closed, possibly because of construction at the museum, and Prelude by Barton G. closed at the Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts. The restaurant was open only on performance days.
- 345 Caffe Italiano
- Anthony's Coal-Fired Pizza (South Beach)
- BLT Prime at Trump National Doral
- Beer 360
- Brother Jimmy's BBQ (South Miami)
- Craft Bar and Q
- Europa Gourmet Market
- FInga Licking @Royal Castle
- La Moon
- Larios on the Beach (reopening)
- My Pi at Cocowalk
- Tap 79
- Uncle Tom's Barbecue
- Zak the Baker
Subatomic Sandwiches at the Wolfsonian Museum is closing.
Photo by Emily Codik
- Subatomic Sandwiches
- Prelude by Barton G. at the Arsht Center
- Aoki Teppanyaki - Coming to Dadeland.
- Benchwarmers - Wood Tavern opens a sports bar with many, many fries.
- Biscayne Brewing Co. - Fresh beer coming soon.
- Brother Jimmy's BBQ - Dolphin Mall location coming soon.
- China Grill - Moving to Brickell.
- Cibo Wine Bar - The second location, coming soon.
- Crust - Pizza on Brickell by Klime Kovaceski.
- Finka Table & Tap - The CubanCube siblings to open a fusion gastropub.
- Gravity Brewlab - Opening in Wynwood.
- Habeas Corpus - A new restaurant by the B&S owners.
- Ikea - Coming 2014
- JugoFresh - Expanding their reach with locations in Miami Beach and Coral Gables announced.
- L'Echon Brasserie - Another Pubbelly endeavor.
- La Cantina 20 - Another Icon tenant getting set to move in.
- Loba - Latin cuisine in MiMo.
- Lokum Mediterranean Grill - Opening on Alton Road.
- Morimoto Restaurant - Opening in Shelborne South Beach
- MIA Brewing Co. - Opening soon in Doral.
- Miam Cafe - Opening in Wynwood.
- The Mighty - Gastropub opening soon.
- Mignonette - Danny Serfer to open an oyster bar.
- Milk Burger - New York burger joint teasing us with hints of a Miami location.
- Ms. Cheezious - The food truck is opening a shop.
- My Ceviche - Coming to South Miami.
- N Lounge - Kevin Cory to open a lounge next door to NAOE.
- NaiYaRa - Chef Bee to open Thai Asian street food bistro in SoBe.
- Natsusteak - Michael Mina rumored to be opening another restaurant at the Fontainebleau.
- Oolite - Kris Wessel opening a restaurant in SoBe.
- Panther Coffee is opening a location in MiMo.
- Paraiso Bay will host a Michael Schwartz restaurant.
- Pincho Factory - Opening another location in Hialeah.
- Poor Man's Lobster - From the folks at Mandolin.
- Prohibition - Opening in Midtown.
- Revolution in Bloon - Vegetarian cuisine.
- STK - Reopening.
- Siena Tavern - Fabio Viviani opening Italian restaurant in SoBe.
- Thompson Hotel - MIchelle Bernstein to open restaurant.
- Wood Tavern - Opening a pizzeria next door, and an upstairs lounge.
- Ten Fruits - Opening in Coral Gables with Panther Coffee and juicing.
- Vintro Hotel & Kitchen - Small boutique hotel and restaurant.
- J. Wakefield Brewing Company - Coming to Wynwood.
- White Lotus - James Beard-winner Matthew Kenney brings the raw food movement to Wynwood.
Projects in the Works
- Steve Martorano is closer than ever to opening a Miami Beach location.
Get the Dining Newsletter
The week's top local food news and events, plus interviews with chefs and restaurant owners, dining tips, and a peek at our print review.