From high-end European luxury to favorite small places to a wild beach bar owned by a reality TV star, May's openings had something for everyone.
Cipriani Downtown Miami opened, bringing old-Hollywood elegance to Brickell. On the other end of the spectrum, Ocean Drive is buzzing about Miami Monkey, a wild bar owned by Angela "Big Ang" Raiola. Miami Beach's Sunset Harbour neighborhood saw the opening of two beloved Miami spots -- Icebox Cafe, which relocated from Lincoln Road; and Panther Coffee, which opened its first Miami Beach location.
As far as closings go, Miami Beach is losing Bond St. Lounge. Closing June 2, the intimate, sexy lounge had a loyal following. In an interview with Miami Pop, Amir Ben Zion said the closing was because, "Jonathan (Morr), Jennie (Yip) and I, along with our New York investors, sold the Townhouse Hotel back in December 2012. Then the opportunity came up to keep Bond St. open for the season, which we mostly did for the sake of our regulars and our team."
What are we looking forward to in June? Huahua's in South Beach will offer inexpensive and delicious tacos in a human and pet-friendly setting and Toasted Bagel Company promises to finally bring good bagels to Brickell.
- Cipriani Downtown Miami
- Icebox Cafe
- Love is Blind
- Miami Monkey
- Nikko by Sunshine
- Panther Coffee
- Sweet Times Cupcakes & Coffee
- The Unemployed Chef
- Total Wine & More (Kendall Superstore)
- Umami Burger
- Urban Oxy
- VooDoo BBQ and Grill
- Whole Foods Market (North Miami)
- World of Beer Midtown
Bond St. Lounge (closing June 2)
- Aoki Teppanyaki - Coming to Dadeland.
- Aroma Espresso Bar - Coming to Dadeland.
- Balan's - Opening another location in Dadeland.
- Barley & Swine - Opening in Dadeland.
- Barnickel's - Coconut Grove eatery opening soon.
- Bar Lorenzo - Top Chef Tony Mantuano is opening an Italian restaurant soon.
- Baru Urbano - Opening another location at the old Ricochet space.
- Batch - Gastropub coming to Brickell.
- Bobby Flay's Burger Palace - Coming to Dadeland.
- Bricktop's - Chain restaurant coming to Coral Gables.
- Brother Jimmy's BBQ - Second outpost in South Miami.
- China Grill - Moving to Brickell.
- Cibo Wine Bar - The second location, coming soon.
- Earl's Kitchen & Bar - Coming to Dadeland.
- Gravity Brewbar - Opening in Wynwood.
- Harvey Wolf - Completes the trio of European pubs, along with Boxpark and The Hoxton.
- HuaHua's - Todd Erickson's Lincoln Road tacqueria to open any day now.
- Ikea - Coming 2014
- Jefe's Original Fish Taco & Burger - Food truck going brick and mortar.
- L'Entrecote de Paris - Steak frites and only steak frites.
- La Cantina 20 - Another Icon tenant getting set to move in.
- Lure Fishbar - The New York seafood restaurant is coming to the Loews Miami Beach.
- Milk Burger - New York burger joint teasing us with hints of a Miami location.
- Ms. Cheezious - The food truck is opening a shop.
- N Lounge - Kevin Cory to open a lounge next door to NAOE.
- Perfecto Mediterranean Cafe - Opening in Brickell.
- Poor Man's Lobster - From the folks at Mandolin.
- Restaurant du Cap - Philippe Ruiz' much anticipated venue coming to Brickell.
- Spaghetto - One just opened, several more in the works.
- STK - Reopening in the fall.
- Sumi (Momi Ramen's sibling)
- Sweetness Bake Shop - Another branch of the popular shop opening in Hialeah.
- Toasted Bagel Company - Bringing good bagels to Brickell.
- Trader Joe's - Coming to Pinecrest in 2013.
- Wood Tavern - Opening a pizzeria next door.
- Wynwood Brewing Company - Opening soon.
- Yard House - Chain grub with many many beers.
Projects in the Works
A fast-casual Asian concept by 50 Eggs is coming to South Beach, adjacent to the original Lime on Alton Road.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
Giorgio Rapicavoli is planning a cocktail lounge adjacent to his Coral Gables restaurant, Eating House. He's also working on a doughnut shop.