March 2016 Miami Restaurant Openings and Closings
March came in like a lion with plenty of high-profile restaurant openings in Miami.
Coconut Grove's thriving restaurant scene grew with the additions of Glass & Vine, a restaurant in a tropical park setting, and Farinelli 1937, an eatery from the people who brought us Strata to the Grove.
Miami Heat's Ray Allen and wife Shannon opened Grown in South Miami, a response to Shannon's search for high-quality fast-casual food to feed her family.
Top Chef alum Jeff McInnis and Janine Booth return to Miami Beach with the opening of Sarsaparilla Club at the Shelborne Wyndham Grand South Beach hotel. The restaurant serves American dim sum. Think of it as global cuisine meets the American South.
The people who live and work in Brickell have two new places to grab a quality, affordable meal. Bachour Bakery + Bistro offers delicious savory breakfast and lunch items, along with pastries that would rival any in Paris, at affordable prices, and the owners of My Ceviche opened Zuuk Mediterranean Kitchen, where chef Daniel Ganem serves bright bowls and salads.
Finally, Bar Lab's Gabe Orta and Elad Zvi opened the Anderson at the former Magnum Lounge on NE 79th Street. With
April looks like it will be active as well. PB Station from the Pubbelly Boys officially opens Monday, April 4, and Ms. Cheezious opens in Coral Gables April 12 to coincide with National Grilled Cheese Day.
- The Anderson
Antica Mare Ristorante (7999 NE Bayshore Ct., Miami)
- Bachour Bakery + Bistro
The Daily Miami Beach (900 West Ave., Miami Beach)
- Farinelli 1937 (3199 Commodore Plaza, Miami)
Glass & Vine (2820 McFarlane Rd., Miami)
HuraoPop-Up at the Mondrian South Beach
- IGA Culinary School (10795 Biscayne Blvd., Miami)
- Sarsaparilla Club
Stellino's (8550 NW 53rd St., Doral)
Zuuk Mediterranean Kitchen (1250 S Miami Ave., Miami)
It's a bird. It's a plane. It's a hot dog at Alinea.
- Alinea Pop-Up
Ms. Cheezious gets ready for her closeup.
Courtesy of Ms. Cheezious
- 305 Brews - Beer bar opening in midtown Miami
- 5411 Empanadas - From Chicago to Coral Gables
- Angelo Elia Pizza Bar - Opening at Aventura ParkSquare project
- The Avenue - British pub fare and American beer to open in A&E District
- Azucar - Opening near FIU
- Bake House - Opening in Miami Beach
- Bikini Barista - Coming to midtown
- Biscayne Bay Brewing Company - Opening in Doral
- Blue Ribbon Sushi Bar & Grill - Opening in Miami
- The Broken Shaker - Opening in Los Angeles
- Cake Thai Kitchen - Opening in Wynwood
- Dragonfly - Third of the Florida chain and first in Miami-Dade, coming to Doral
- Estefan Kitchen - Gloria and Emilio are at it again
- Freddo Helado - Opening in Doral
- Gravity Brewlab - Opening in Wynwood
- Graziano's - Opening at Aventura ParkSquare project
- Groovin' Bean - Coffeehouse and lounge opening in Overtown
- Hank & Harry's - Buzzy Sklar to open NY-style deli in SoBe
- Harry's Pizzeria - Chef Michael Schwartz expanding several locations
IceBox Cafe - Opening at Aventura ParkSquare project
- Jodi's Italian Ice - Opening soon
- Jugofresh Kitchen - Opening in Sunset Harbour
- Junior's - Iconic cheesecake and restaurant opening
- La Muse Cafe - Jamie DeRosa opening a Brickell café
- Latin House Grill - Opening near FIU
- Le Macaron - Opening at Dadeland Mall and other locations
- Mojo Donuts & Fried Chicken - Coming to Westchester
- Ms. Cheezious - Planning expansion
- My Ceviche - Coming to Midtown and MIA
- Itabe - Kevin Aoki and Roman Jones collaborate on a restaurant.
- Palmeiras Beach Club - Opening in Coconut Grove
- Panther Coffee - Opening in MiMo, and Little Haiti
- Paraiso Bay Restaurant & Beach Club - Michael Schwartz opening a restaurant at this Edgewater complex
- Pasion del Cielo - Opening in Brickell and Doral
- Paulie Gee's Brooklyn pizza - Coming to Upper Eastside
- PB Station - The Pubbelly Boys open in Miami proper
- Persona Pizzeria - California chain coming to Miami
- Phuc Yea! - Popular pop-up opening in MiMo
- Pincho Factory - Opening several locations in Hialeah, Doral, West Kendall, Pinecrest, and Orlando
- Pubbelly Sushi - Opening
- Quinto La Huella - Opening soon
- Revolution in Bloom - Vegan and vegetarian cuisine
- Salty Donut - Doughnut shop coming to Wynwood
- The Spillover - Lokal explores the sea
- Spring Chicken - Several other locations opening
- Sugar Factory - Opening
secondlocation, on Lincoln Road
- Sullivan St. Bakery - Opening in Little Haiti
- Tanuki - From Moscow to South Beach
- Tap 42 - Fort Lauderdale gastropub opening in Coral Gables
- Taste Buds of India - Coral Springs restaurant opening in South Miami
- Toasted Bagels - Coming to Coral Gables
- Tobacco Road - New and improved Road opening this winter
- Tropical Barbecue - Kris Wessel returns with Little Haiti barbecue place
- Tutto Il Giorno - Authentic Italian fare coming soon
- Union Beer - Beer to-go and bar opening in Little Havana
- Velvet Creme - Iconic doughnuts returning to Miami
- Which Wich - Opening several locations in Miami
- Whole Foods Market - Proposed megastore in Sunset Harbour
- Zak the Baker - Planning an expansion of his café and bakery
Janine Booth and Jeff McInnis get their approval.
Photo by Laine Doss
Projects in the Works
- Chef Alex Stupak is shopping for a location in Miami for a taco restaurant.
- Joël Robuchon is opening eateries in the Design District.
Wanjey, a partner at Zuma and Coya, will open a French restaurant in Brickell this year.
- Jeff McInnis and Janine Booth will open a seafood restaurant at the former PB Steak location in Sunset Harbour.
- Jose Garces is rumored to be opening a Miami restaurant.
- Alfredo Patino plans to open a French concept on 79th Street.
Embarek Alibaywill open a café adjacent to his La Parisienne Bakery (1909 NE 154th St., North Miami Beach).
- Geoffrey Zakarian mentioned opening a restaurant at the Diplomat in Hallandale Beach.
- Marcus Samuelsson and his team are going forward with a proposed restaurant in Overtown.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Miami dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.