Where the Chefs Eat is a series in which we ask Miami chefs to list their favorite local restaurants. In this installment, we spoke to Makoto Okuwa -- chef of Makoto in Bal Harbour -- about his preferred Magic City spots.
At his restaurant in the Bal Harbour Shops, Okuwa has garnered a reputation as one of the best Japanese chefs in town. His menu lists sashimi and maki -- like cured mackerel or lobster, ginger, pickled jicama, asparagus, tobiko, and avocado roll. There's ramen, robata-grilled foods, and a dynamite hand roll with baked crab and creamy ponzu.
Okuwa enjoys dining out too. Here, in his own words, are his favorite restaurants in Miami.
1. Beer and Burger Joint: Because of its nice flavored burger buns and diverse selections of burger options and extensive beer menu.
2. Momi Ramen: The broth flavor, chewy noodles, juicy meat, along its traditional style and atmosphere, make it one of my favorite places around.
3. Harry's Pizzeria: The fresh ingredients, crispy crusts, and nice spins on traditional pizzas are wonderful. There's great flavor in all pizza selections.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
4. Pubbelly: It offers a nice twist on Asian cuisine, and there's always something new.
5. Wynwood Kitchen + Bar: This spot offers great quality food with nice price point, along with nice small plates to share. You can try a lot of different things.
Follow Emily on Twitter @EmilyCodik.