Make Super Easy Vegan Coleslaw for Fourth of July (Recipe)
All photos by Hannah Sentenac
T-minus 24 hours until Fourth of July festivities kick off. And shiiiiiiit, you totally forgot about the vegan dish you promised to dole out at your neighbor's hipster barbecue. Considering the contents of your fridge (some sad-looking celery and a bottle of ketchup), this might present a problem.
Instead of desperately scrambling for store-bought something you can pass off as your own, whip up a batch of vegan coleslaw. One quick grocery run and six minutes of prep time later, you'll be golden. Not only is it the easiest thing ever, it's chock full of kale and brussels sprouts -- so you'll totally impress your green-eating pals.
See also: Paleo Vegan Is a Thing
(You can scoop up the Just Mayo at Whole Foods. Vegenaise or Mindful Mayo will do in a pinch, but seriously folks, Just Mayo is the nectar of the gods. Even Andrew Zimmern picked it over Hellmann's. It's heavenly and you should have three jars on hand at all times. But we digress.)
- Mix everything but the Cruciferous Crunch in a large bowl.
- Then, add the greens and toss to coat.
- Stick it in the fridge for at least a couple hours -- preferably a little more.
Voila! A vegan potluck option that's sure to please even the pickiest. If you want to get seriously fancy and make Iggy Azalea proud, you could add some colorful chopped carrots (TJ's sells a bag of the purple and white varieties) or other impressive veggies. You could also use regular coleslaw mix in a pinch, though that's a little dullsville.
Happy Fourth, y'all. God bless America and all our meatless wonders.
(P.S.: the above recipe is a twist on this one.)
Follow Hannah on Twitter @hannahalexs.
Get the Dining Newsletter
The week's top local food news and events, plus interviews with chefs and restaurant owners, dining tips, and a peek at our print review.
More RESTAURANTS News
- Animal Rights Activist, Author Susan Hargreaves to Speak at Earthsave Vegan Potluck...
- Restaurant Michael Schwartz Brunch: Bottomless DIY Bloodys, Prime Rib Sandwich, and...
- Miami's Best Eats and Drinks This Weekend: WMC, Typsy Mermaid, and Florida Derby
- Freshii Opening New Location in Miami International Mall