Leftover Lunch: Mashed Potato Pancakes (Recipe)
Despite your best efforts to consume your weight in turkey, stuffing and mashed potatoes, your refrigerator is still stuffed to the brim with leftovers. Fail. Ron Swanson would be totally unimpressed by your eating abilities.
But all that extra food has gotta go somewhere. Instead of the standard heat and re-serve, why not get a little creative with your spare foodstuffs? Mashed potatoes, for instance, make a hell of a potato pancake. Perfect for today's post-shopping lunch. Check out the recipe after the jump.
- 2 cups leftover mashed potatoes
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp finely chopped scallions (optional)
- 2 tbsp grated cheddar or parmesan (optional)
- 1 tbsp butter (for sauteeing)
- 1 tbsp oil (for sauteeing)
- In a bowl, mix the mashed potatoes and the beaten egg. Add the scallions and cheese (optional) and stir.
- Then, gently roll the mashed potatoes into a series of balls (golf ball sized). Flatten the balls into patties.
- Heat the butter and oil in a skillet over medium heat. One at a time, dip each patty in the flour, then saute the patties in the butter and oil until golden and crispy.
That's it! Then, eat up. And always feel free to add more butter, old school Paula Deen-style.
Follow Hannah on Twitter @hannahalexs.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Miami dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More Food & Drink News
- Fireman Derek's Five Steps to the Perfect Pie for Thanksgiving
Tue., Jan. 19, 6:30pm
Wed., Jan. 20, 7:30pm
Fri., Jan. 22, 6:00pm
Sat., Jan. 23, 8:00pm
- Thanksgiving 2015: Guide to Restaurant Dinners in Miami
- World-Famous Alinea Popping Up in Miami Beach in February, Tickets on Sale December 2