Key West Restaurant In The News For Rum and Rodent Turds
Bagatelle's been getting a lot of press lately
Bagatelle via Facebook
Bagatelle, the pretty little Key West restaurant on the 100 block of Duval Street has been in the news twice this week, and it's only Wednesday. So do you want the good news or the bad news?
OK, good news first:
The Florida Keys Keynoter reported the happy news that Jack Terry, a bartender at Bagatelle, was named Tommy Bahama's new Rumologist,
beating out 100 other mixologists to win the title, which includes a
$50,000 check and a job as brand ambassador for the brand's rum and 13
Oh rats (literally and figuratively) -- here comes the bad news:
According to the Sun-Sentinel's restaurant inspection report roundup, the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation temporarily closed Bagatelle restaurant on October 11 due to a few findings, including:
- 10 PLUS FRESH RODENT DROPPINGS IN THE KITCHEN ON THE FLOOR
- 5 PLUS SEMIFRESH RODENT DROPPINGS FOUND ON TOP OF STORED FOOD SLICER NEXT TO
COLD HOLDING UNITS
- 10 PLUS FRESH RODENT DROPPINGS FOUND UNDER SHELF CONTAINING DRY FOODS
- 5 PLUS FRESH RODENT DROPPINGS FOUND UNDER TABLE CONTAINING BOTTLED WATER AND
NEXT TO REACH IN COOLER CONTAINING FOODS
We're going to
take a guess and say that the only time "semi-fresh" is better than
"fresh" in a restaurant is when you're talking about rodent droppings...
Bagatelle was reopened the next day on October 12, but inspectors still found some pesky holes in the kitchen walls, not to mention that their business license was expired.
Short Order tried to call Bagatelle, but the phone was unanswered.
In case you can't make it to Bagatelle, here's Jack Terry's signature drink, the Elder Statesman:
The Elder Statesman
2.5 oz Tommy Bahama Golden Sun Rum
1 oz St. Germaine
.75 oz Agave nectar
.25 oz Yuzu juice
Combine all ingredients in a shaker with ice. Strain into a chilled Martini glass with a powdered sugared rim.
Follow Short Order on Facebook and Twitter @Short_Order.
Get the Dining Newsletter
The week's top local food news and events, plus interviews with chefs and restaurant owners, dining tips, and a peek at our print review.
More RESTAURANTS News
- Animal Rights Activist, Author Susan Hargreaves to Speak at Earthsave Vegan Potluck...
- Restaurant Michael Schwartz Brunch: Bottomless DIY Bloodys, Prime Rib Sandwich, and...
- Miami's Best Eats and Drinks This Weekend: WMC, Typsy Mermaid, and Florida Derby
- Freshii Opening New Location in Miami International Mall