June 2014 Restaurant Openings and Closings
Kris Wessel's Oolite opened in June.
Photo by Laine Doss
Talk about one hot month. As spring turned into one wet summer, Miami restaurants decided to open like flowers in a garden!
Most anticipated were the openings of L'Echon Brasserie, featuring French fare by the Pubbelly boys and Oolite, Kris Wessel's new restaurant just off Lincoln Road.
June also saw many closings, including two by some of Miami's most beloved residents. Gloria and Emilio closed Bongos Cuban Cafe with plans to focus on their new upscale restaurant, Estefan Kitchen, which is set to open in downtown Miami; and Michelle Bernstein closed Michy's with plans on reopening in the same space at the end of the summer with a new concept.
- Aoki Teppanyaki
- Biscayne Home Brew & Carry Out
- Brother Jimmy's BBQ at Dolphin Mall
- Cafe Curuba
- Drunken Dragon
- Jefe's Soul Shack
- JugoFresh Coral Gables
- L'Echon Brasserie
- The Mighty
- Ten Fruits Coral Gables
- Uncle Tom's BBQ
- Bongos Cuban Cafe
- Choices Cafe (Brickell)
- La Moderna
- Latin Burger & Taco (Coral Gables)
- Prelude by Barton G. at Arsht Center
- Porcao Farm to Table
- Umami Burger
Ralph Pagano's Alba Seaside Italian is turning into Ferris for the summer.
- Bistro BE - Belgian cuisine coming soon.
- Biscayne Brewing Co. - Fresh beer coming soon.
- Bikini Barista - coming to midtown.
- Centolire - Italian cuisine coming soon.
- China Grill - Moving to Brickell.
- Cibo Wine Bar - The second location, coming soon.
- Crust - Pizza on Brickell by Klime Kovaceski.
- The Daily Creative Food Co. - opening in Miami Beach.
- Estefan Kitchen - Gloria and Emilio are at it again.
- Finka Table & Tap - The CubanCube siblings to open a fusion gastropub.
- Gravity Brewlab - Opening in Wynwood.
- Habeas Corpus - A new restaurant by the B&S owners.
- Ikea - Coming 2014
- La Cantina 20 - Another Icon tenant getting set to move in.
- La Moderna - Opening in SoBe.
- Lokum Mediterranean Grill - Opening on Alton Road.
- Morimoto Restaurant - Opening in Shelborne South Beach
- MIA Brewing Co. - Opening soon in Doral.
- Miam Cafe - Opening in Wynwood.
- Mignonette - Danny Serfer to open an oyster bar.
- Milk Burger - New York burger joint teasing us with hints of a Miami location.
- Ms. Cheezious - The food truck is opening a shop.
- My Ceviche - Coming to South Miami and Coral Gables.
- N Lounge - Kevin Cory to open a lounge next door to NAOE.
- NaiYaRa - Chef Bee to open Thai Asian street food bistro in SoBe.
- Panther Coffee is opening locations in Little Haiti and MiMo.
- Paraiso Bay will host a Michael Schwartz restaurant.
- Pincho Factory - Opening another location in Hialeah.
- Poor Man's Lobster - From the folks at Mandolin.
- Porfirio's - Mexico City restaurant chain coming to Miami.
- Revolution in Bloom - Vegetarian cuisine.
- Stripsteak - Michael Mina rumored to be opening another restaurant at the Fontainebleau.
- STK - Reopening.
- Siena Tavern - Fabio Viviani opening Italian restaurant in SoBe.
- Senor Frog's - the party comes to Miami.
- Shucker's - reopening in July.
- Thompson Hotel - MIchelle Bernstein to open restaurant.
- Tutto Il Giorno - Authentic Italian fare coming soon.
- Wood Tavern - Opening a pizzeria next door, and an upstairs lounge.
- Vintro Hotel & Kitchen - Small boutique hotel and restaurant.
- J. Wakefield Brewing Company - Coming to Wynwood.
- White Lotus - James Beard-winner Matthew Kenney brings the raw food movement to Wynwood.
Projects in the Works
- Steve Martorano is closer than ever to opening a Miami Beach location.
- Stephen Starr is opening a concept at the Young Arts building.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Miami dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More Food & Drink News
- Raw Master Matthew Kenney on His Wynwood Restaurant: "It's One of the Most Stunning...
Tue., Jan. 19, 6:30pm
Wed., Jan. 20, 7:30pm
Fri., Jan. 22, 6:00pm
Sat., Jan. 23, 8:00pm
- Art Basel 2015: Where to Score Free Food & Drink With Your Art
- Boozy Art Basel: Here's Where Art and Drink Collide This Week