July 2013 Restaurant Openings and Closings
Boxpark opens in Brickell.
Courtesy Box Park
July is usually a slow month in Miami. Overly warm days make us feel torpid, wanting only to wait in a humidity-induced semi-coma for August to bring Miami Spice and the relief of dining frugally in air-conditioned restaurants.
But, this summer's seen an incredible amount of activity, with many restaurants taking advantage of this precious pre-season time to open and perfect their act before fall madness arrives.
Restaurants from Box Park, which features an eclectic menu of everything from triggerfish to house-cured "Brickell pickles" to Urban Oxy, which combines Panther coffee with Sweetness pastries and pizza have opened their doors. Also notable is The Butcher Shop, where you can pick your own meat to eat-in or take-out.
We also said goodbye to a few gems, including Little Lotus and Bernie's L.A. Cafe. Reggae Tacos has closed in its current location, with The Filling Station taking over its space, but is looking for a new space. Joe's Stone Crab has closed for the season, but will return when the crabs do.
- Blocks Pizza Deli
- Box Park
- The Butcher Shop
- Mister Wolfe
- Pauloluigi To Go
- Sweetness Bake Shop & Cafe (Hialeah)
- Taco Belly - Summer lunch pop-up at PB Steak
- Toasted Bagel Company
- Urban Oxy
Continue on to the next page for the Closings and Coming Attractions.
- Aoki Teppanyaki - Coming to Dadeland.
- Balan's - Opening another location in Dadeland.
- Barnickel's - Coconut Grove eatery opening soon.
- Bar Lorenzo - Top Chef Tony Mantuano is opening an Italian restaurant soon.
- Baru Urbano - Opening another location at the old Ricochet space.
- Batch - Gastropub coming to Brickell.
- Blackbrick - Richard Hales opening a Chinese restaurant featuring tail-to-snout dining.
- Bobby Flay's Burger Palace - Coming to Dadeland.
- Bocce Bar - Timon Balloo cooks "La dolce vita".
- Brother Jimmy's BBQ - Second outpost in South Miami.
- Buns & Buns - Opening in South Miami.
- China Grill - Moving to Brickell.
- Cibo Wine Bar - The second location, coming soon.
- Duffy's Sports Grill - Coming to Coconut Grove.
- Earl's Kitchen & Bar - Coming to Dadeland.
- Enriqueta's Sandwich Shop - To reopen soon.
- Gravity Brewbar - Opening in Wynwood.
- Harvey Wolf - Completes the trio of European pubs, along with Boxpark and The Hoxton.
- Ikea - Coming 2014
- Jefe's Original Fish Taco & Burger - Food truck going brick and mortar.
- JugoFresh - Expanding their shops.
- L'Echon Brasserie - another Pubbelly endeavor.
- L'Entrecote de Paris - Steak frites and only steak frites.
- La Cantina 20 - Another Icon tenant getting set to move in.
- La Mexicana Cantina & Grill - A Mexican sports bar coming to Brickell.
- Lippi - Chef Philippe Ruiz' grand return.
- Lure Fishbar - The New York seafood restaurant is coming to the Loews Miami Beach.
- Milk Burger - New York burger joint teasing us with hints of a Miami location.
- Ms. Cheezious - The food truck is opening a shop.
- N Lounge - Kevin Cory to open a lounge next door to NAOE.
- Poor Man's Lobster - From the folks at Mandolin.
- RN74 - Michael Mina opening a restaurant at the Fontainebleau.
- Sonic Beach - Opening in Miami Gardens.
- Spaghetto - More in the works.
- STK - Reopening in the fall.
- Trader Joe's - Coming to Pinecrest in 2013.
- Wood Tavern - Opening a pizzeria next door, and an upstairs lounge.
- Wynwood Brewing Company - Opening soon.
Projects in the Works
- An upscale restaurant and brewery is planned for the old Cooper Avenue space in South Beach.
- A fast-casual Asian concept by 50 Eggs is coming to South Beach, adjacent to the original Lime on Alton Road.
- Giorgio Rapicavoli is planning a cocktail lounge adjacent to his Coral Gables restaurant, Eating House. He's also working on a doughnut shop.
- Tom Colicchio is opening a restaurant and will oversee f&b operations at the 1Hotel & Residences.
- Steve Martorano is closer than ever to opening a Miami Beach location.
Get the Dining Newsletter
The week's top local food news and events, plus interviews with chefs and restaurant owners, dining tips, and a peek at our print review.