John Kunkel's Five Favorite Restaurants in Miami
Chefs and restaurant owners spend their days dedicated to the fryer, the office, and the dining room. Which means that when they have time to dine out, they stick to the places they love.
John Kunkel has opened three successful restaurants in the past two years: Yardbird Southern Table & Bar, Khong River House, and Swine Southern Table & Bar. So, sure, he's a busy guy. But he also knows how to eat. Here, in his own words, are his favorite restaurants in town.
1. Michy's or Crumb on Parchment or really anything Michelle Bernstein is doing. Both of her places are close to the office and always good. Michelle has been great for the Miami dining scene and generous to many young cooks.
2. Tropical Chinese: Though it feels like I am driving to another state when I go there, I love authentic Asian food of any kind. And this is currently the best Chinese in Miami, but I might be changing that in the future with a new place.
3. Sugarcane Raw Bar Grill: The owners are great folks, and Timon Balloo is a talented chef who I am happy to support. Can't wait to try their new Italian place in midtown.
4. Eating House: Our new neighbor in the -Gables, Giorgio Rapicavoli and his crew do a great job. Can't wait to see what's next for him.
Follow Emily on Twitter @EmilyCodik.
Get the Dining Newsletter
The week's top local food news and events, plus interviews with chefs and restaurant owners, dining tips, and a peek at our print review.
More RESTAURANTS News
- Animal Rights Activist, Author Susan Hargreaves to Speak at Earthsave Vegan Potluck...
- Restaurant Michael Schwartz Brunch: Bottomless DIY Bloodys, Prime Rib Sandwich, and...
- Miami's Best Eats and Drinks This Weekend: WMC, Typsy Mermaid, and Florida Derby
- Freshii Opening New Location in Miami International Mall