John Kunkel's Five Favorite Restaurants in Miami
Chefs and restaurant owners spend their days dedicated to the fryer, the office, and the dining room. Which means that when they have time to dine out, they stick to the places they love.
John Kunkel has opened three successful restaurants in the past two years: Yardbird Southern Table & Bar, Khong River House, and Swine Southern Table & Bar. So, sure, he's a busy guy. But he also knows how to eat. Here, in his own words, are his favorite restaurants in town.
1. Michy's or Crumb on Parchment or really anything Michelle Bernstein is doing. Both of her places are close to the office and always good. Michelle has been great for the Miami dining scene and generous to many young cooks.
2. Tropical Chinese: Though it feels like I am driving to another state when I go there, I love authentic Asian food of any kind. And this is currently the best Chinese in Miami, but I might be changing that in the future with a new place.
3. Sugarcane Raw Bar Grill: The owners are great folks, and Timon Balloo is a talented chef who I am happy to support. Can't wait to try their new Italian place in midtown.
4. Eating House: Our new neighbor in the -Gables, Giorgio Rapicavoli and his crew do a great job. Can't wait to see what's next for him.
Follow Emily on Twitter @EmilyCodik.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Miami dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More Food & Drink News
- Full Bloom Opens With Plant-Based Cuisine and a Killer View
Sat., Oct. 24, 7:00pm
Sat., Oct. 31, 8:00pm
Sat., Nov. 7, 7:00pm
Fri., Dec. 11, 6:30pm
- Blue Collar Ups Its Menu: Fried Green Tomatoes, Veggie Platters, and Grilled Rainbow Trout
- August 2015's Miami Restaurant Openings and Closings