Jellied Moose Nose, Baby Mice Wine, and More: Eight Foods Better Than Human Flesh
Our soul sister blog, Riptide, recently described a guy who allegedly murdered a man and proceeded to consume his brain and eyeball. Hannibal Lecter would have at least added fava beans and a nice bottle of Chianti.
As a response, here's a list of eight things that would probably be better than tasting man brain.
8. Ant eggs - because cottage cheese ain't weird enough
They're eaten in Mexico, typically in a taco, with guacamole and salsa, and have the consistency of cottage cheese. ¡Delicioso!
7. Jellied Moose Nose - Really, America?
Leave it to our neighbors up in moose country to boil this bad boy, pluck the hairs off, and then boil it again until it's practically gone. Whatever is left in the pot is chilled into a gelatinous mold and enjoyed like an after-school snack pack of Jell-O.
6. Canned Chrysalis - Q Lazzarus's song "Goodbye Horses" comes to mind. Anyone know why?
The good people of South Korea love them some canned pre-butterfly. We wonder, though -- like Red Bull, does it give you wings?
5. Baby Mice Wine - We're getting notes of whiskers and squeaks.
Screw the worm in mezcal, Mexico. You call that ballsy drinking? Korea trumps your silly tradition with newborn mice stuffed into bottles, left to ferment, and then sipped like fragrant Pinot Grigio.
4. Boiled Sheep's Head - Looks like a Halloween mask, right?
Get 'em while they're hot, Iraq! Like every good broth, these sheep are boiled to perfection with other body parts to lock in that delicious flavor.
3. Head Bread - Self-explanatory
I'll take a couple brioche, a fresh baguette, oh, and head bread! Is this not the grossest thing you've ever seen? We'll take it down a few notches for ya: An artist from Thailand thought the world would get a kick out of edible zombie heads. Trust us, it's just bread (we did the research), but how much more freaky can you get.
2. Spotted Dick - The ultimate "gag" gift!
This one is actually quite palatable. Don't laugh! It really is. We're not going to tell you what it is, though. We'd much rather let your imagination run wild. It's also microwavable!
1. Bull penis - Because we said so
Andrew Zimmern's favorite is said to be bull penis. Would you eat it? We'll bet the guy who ate brain and thought it tasted like women's come would. He knows everything.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Miami dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More Food & Drink News
- Hurricane Party and Survival Tips From Miami's Best Chefs
Sat., Oct. 24, 7:00pm
Sat., Oct. 31, 8:00pm
Sat., Nov. 7, 7:00pm
Fri., Dec. 11, 6:30pm
- Miami Dolphins Get Stadium, Food Upgrades: Sloppy Joe's, Versailles, Bodega Taqueria y...
- Stripsteak Brunch: Braised Bacon, Blueberry Ricotta Pancakes, and an Endless Dessert...