Just one month into the new year and already Miami's restaurant landscape is changing.
Ariete, the Coconut Grove restaurant by Michael Beltran and Jason Odio, opened to much buzz in Coconut Grove. Ariete will be joined by several other restaurants, including Glass & Vine, the Spillover, and Spasso, making a solid argument that the tree-lined neighborhood is poised to be one of the most interesting places to dine in 2016.
Coral Gables' dining options have expanded with the openings of Trust & Co., Ichimi Ramen, and Spring Chicken.
Miami lost City Hall, Steve Haas' stunning Edgewater eatery that served comfort food favorites such as meatloaf and bread pudding in an art deco setting. After five years, the local favorite lost its lease and closed its doors.
Equally surprising was the news that chef Alberto Cabrera closed his two Little Bread Cuban Sandwich Co. restaurants and moved to La Vegas.
Looking ahead, the most hotly anticipated openings include the Alinea pop-up at the Faena Hotel Miami Beach and the permanent location of the Salty Donut.
Last but not least, we finally learn the name of the new bar opening at the former Magnum Lounge space: The Anderson, by Gabriel Orta and Elad Zvi, opens soon.
French 27 opens.
Courtesy French 27
Ariete (3540 Main Hwy., Coconut Grove)
- Awa Kava Lounge (3930 NW Second Ave., Miami)
El Patio (167 NW 23rd St., Miami)
French 27 (850 Commerce St., Miami Beach)
- Ichimi (2330 Salzedo St., Coral Gables)
- Jugofresh (several new locations inside Whole Foods Market locations)
Puroroast Coffee (632 S. Miami Ave., Miami)
- Segafredo Bayside Marketplace
- Spring Chicken (1514 S. Dixie Hwy., Coral Gables)
- Threefold Café (6907 Red Rd., South Miami)
Trust & Co. (2 Aragon Ave., Coral Gables)
City Hall closed.
Courtesy of City Hall
- Jugofresh (Coral Gables, North Miami, and South Miami)
- Little Bread Cuban Sandwich Co.
Janine Booth and Jeff McInnis plan to open two restaurants in South Beach.
Photo by Laine Doss
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
- 5411 Empanadas - From Chicago to Coral Gables
- Angelo Elia Pizza Bar - Opening at Aventura ParkSquare project.
- Alinea - Famed restaurant will pop-up at Faena Miami Beach
- The Anderson - Bar Lab's Gabe Orta and Elad Zvi's new venture at the old Magnum.
- Azucar - Opening near FIU.
- The Avenue - British pub fare and American beer to open in A&E District
- Bachour Bakery and Bistro - The master baker opens a bistro.
- Bake House - Opening in Miami Beach
- Bikini Barista - Coming to midtown.
- Biscayne Bay Brewing Company - Opening in Doral.
- Blue Ribbon Sushi Bar & Grill - Opening in Miami.
- Broken Shaker - Opening in Los Angeles
- China Grill - Moving to Brickell.
- Cake Thai Kitchen - Opening in Wynwood.
- Choices Cafe - Opening in Coconut Grove.
- Dragonfly - Third of the Florida chain and first in Miami-Dade coming to Doral.
- Estefan Kitchen - Gloria and Emilio are at it again.
- Farinelli 1937 - Upscale pizza by the owners of Strada.
- Freddo Helado - Opening in Doral.
- Glass & Vine - Giorgio Rapicavoli comes to Coconut Grove.
- Gravity Brewlab - Opening in Wynwood.
- Graziano's - Opening at Aventura ParkSquare project.
- Groovin' Bean - Coffee house and lounge opening in Overtown.
- Hank & Harry's - Buzzy Sklar to open
NY-styledeli in SoBe.
- Harry's Pizzeria - Chef Michael Schwartz expanding several locations.
- IGA Culinary School - Opening in North Miami.
- IceBox Cafe - Opening at Aventura ParkSquare project.
- Ichimi - opening second location in South Beach
- Jodi's Italian Ice - Opening soon.
- Juan Valdez Cafe - Opening in North Miami.
- Jugofresh Kitchen - Opening in Sunset Harbour.
- La Muse Cafe - Jamie DeRosa opening a Brickell cafe.
- Ladurée - Pops up in Design District for Art Basel
- Latin House Grill - Opening near FIU.
- Le Macaron - Opening at Dadeland and other locations.
- Ms. Cheezious - Planning expansion.
- My Ceviche - Coming to Midtown and MIA
- Naked Tiki - Chef Ralph Pagano at it again.
- Itabe - Kevin Aoki and Roman Jones collaborate on a restaurant.
- Magnum Lounge - a new version by the Bar Lab team.
- Panther Coffee - Opening in MiMo, and Little Haiti.
- Paraiso Bay Restaurant and Beach Club - Michael Schwartz opening a restaurant at this Edgewater complex.
- PB Station - The Pubbelly Boys open in Miami.
- Persona Pizzeria - California chain coming to Miami.
- Phuc Yea! - Popular pop-up opening in MiMo
- Palmeiras Beach Club - Opening in Coconut Grove
- Paulie Gee's Brooklyn pizza - Coming to Upper Eastside.
- Pasion del Cielo - Opening in Brickell and Doral.
- Pincho Factory - Opening several locations in Hialeah, Doral, West Kendall, Pinecrest, and Orlando.
- Pubbelly Sushi - Opening
- Quinto La Huella - Opening soon.
- Revolution in Bloom - Vegan and vegetarian cuisine.
- River Yacht Club and Van Dutch Lounge - Opening soon.
- Salty Donut -
Doughtnutshop coming to Wynwood.
- Sarsaparilla Club - Janine Booth and Jeff McInnis to open
restaurantat Shelborne Wyndham Grand Hotel.
- Spasso - Italian cuisine where Calamari in the Grove was.
- Spring Chicken - Several other locations opening.
- Stellino's - Italian cuisine coming to Doral.
- Sugar Factory - Opening
secondlocation on Lincoln Road.
- Sullivan St. Bakery - Opening in Little Haiti.
- The Spillover - Lokal explores the sea.
- Tanuki - From Moscow to South Beach.
- Tap 42 -Fort Lauderdale gastropub opening in Coral Gables.
- Taste Buds of India - Coral Springs rest opening in South Miami.
- Toasted Bagels - Coming to Coral Gables.
- Tobacco Road - New and improved Road opening this winter.
- Tropical Barbecue - Kris Wessel returns with Little Haiti barbecue place.
- Tutto Il Giorno - Authentic Italian fare coming soon.
- Velvet Creme - Iconic doughnuts returning to Miami.
- Which Wich - Opening several locations in Miami.
- Whole Foods Market - proposed megastore in Sunset Harbour.
- Zak the Baker - Planning an expansion of his cafe and bakery.
- Zest - Cindy Hutson opening a restaurant and fast-casual concept.
- Zuuk KItchen - From the people who brought you My Ceviche.
Projects in the Works
- Chef Alex Stupak is shopping for a location in Miami for a taco restaurant.
- Joel Robuchon and Jean-Georges Vongerichten are opening eateries in the Design District.
Wanjey, a partner at Zuma and Coya, will open a French restaurant in Brickell in the coming year.
- Jeff McInnis and Janine Booth will open a seafood restaurant in the former PB Steak location in Sunset Harbour.
- Jose Garces is rumored to be opening a Miami restaurant.
- Alfredo Patino to open a French concept on 79th Street.
Embarek Alibaywill open a cafe adjacent to his La Parisienne Bakery (1909 NE 154th St., North Miami Beach)