January 2015 Miami Restaurant Openings and Closings
The Vagabond Restaurant opened in January 2015.
Courtesy of Vagabond Restaurant
The first month of 2015 brought a host of openings to the Miami dining scene.
The most hotly anticipated openings included the Vagabond Restaurant -- where executive chef Alex Chang cooks an international menu that ranges from roasted nuts and chapulines to well-seasoned Iberico skirt steak -- and the locavore-friendly Whole Foods Market in downtown Miami, where shoppers can purchase anything from Jugofresh cold-pressed juices and Zak the Baker bread to healthful versions of Versailles Restaurant classics.
Miami's craft beer scene also got a shot in the arm with the opening of MIA Brewing Company and J. Wakefield Brewing Company.
There were a few closings in January, a sign that establishments aren't all faring well this season. Coconut Grove's Gardner's Market closed, as did La Gazzetta in Brickell. Wynwood's Shikany abruptly shuttered too, although a recording states the restaurant will reopen in February.
- Chick-fil-A in Flagler Park
- Choices Café in Coral Gables
- Coral Cafe (959 West Ave., Miami Beach)
- Coyo Taco
- El Cielo
- Fresh American Bistro at Sole on the Ocean
- La Terrasse
- La Savina Cafe & Grill
- Limited Edition Caffe & Vino Buono
- MIA Brewing
- Made in Italy Gourmet
- Momi Gyoza Bar
- Repour Homemade Cocktails at Albion Hotel
- Rumbar at Ritz-Carlton Key Biscayne
- Vagabond Restaurant
- Velvet Creme Doughnuts Food Truck
- J. Wakefield Brewing Company
- Whole Foods Market Downtown Miami
Continue reading on the next page for closings and coming attractions.
- Casa Larios
- Gardner's Market
- La Gazzetta
- Shikany has closed, but the restaurant's voicemail message states it will reopen in February.
- Barley & Wich has changed its name to Barley American Brasserie. With the name change comes a revised menu.
- Filling Station & Garage Bar has closed in Miami and is moving to 3200 NE 12th Ave. in Oakland Park.
- AC Hotel - Coming to Miami Beach.
- Bachour Bakery and Bistro
- Bake House - Opening in Miami Beach.
- Beachcraft - Tom Colicchio's new restaurant coming soon, along with Sandbox.
- Bikini Barista - coming to midtown.
- Biscayne Diner - Reopening.
- Bonefish Grill - Opening in Aventura.
- Boxelder - Craft beer shop coming to Wynwood.
- Byblos - Opening at the James Royal Palm.
- China Grill - Moving to Brickell.
- Continental - Stephen Starr's retro Philadelphia restaurant coming to Miami.
- Crust - Pizza on Brickell by Klime Kovaceski.
- The Daily Creative Food Co. - opening in Miami Beach.
- David's Cafe - Reopening on Alton Road
- Estefan Kitchen - Gloria and Emilio are at it again.
- Fooq's - Opening in Nemesis space.
- GastroPod - Opening in Aventura Mall.
- Gravity Brewlab - Opening in Wynwood.
- Harry's Pizzeria - Chef Michael Schwartz to open location in Coconut Grove.
- Izzy's Fish & Oyster - Chef Jamie DeRosa plans a New England fish shack.
- Jimmy'z Kitchen - Opening in Brickell.
- Klima Restaurant & Bar - Opening soon.
- La Moderna - Opening in SoBe.
- Laffa Mediterranean Kitchen - From the My Ceviche team.
- The Lunchbox - Opening in Wynwood.
- Mellow Mushroom - Stoner themed pizza chain opening in Miami.
- Milk Burger - New York burger joint teasing us with hints of a Miami location.
- Ms. Cheezious - The food truck is opening a shop.
- My Ceviche - Coming to Midtown, MIA, and Coral Gables.
- NaiYaRa - Chef Bee to open Thai Asian street food bistro in SoBe.
- Naked Lunch - Chef Ralph Pagano opens a lunch spot.
- Nobu - Famed chef opens restaurant on Miami Beach.
- Paraiso Bay will host a Michael Schwartz restaurant.
- PB Station - The Pubbelly Boys open in Miami.
- Persona Pizzeria - California chain coming to Miami.
- Pi Pizzeria - opening Pi'ami.
- Piripi - El Bulli veteran opening Coral Gables eatery.
- Pincho Factory - Opening another location in Hialeah.
- Quality Meats - New York butcher/restaurant coming to Miami Beach.
- Red Ginger - Asian flair coming to South Beach.
- Revolution in Bloom - Vegan and vegetarian cuisine.
- Señor Frog's - the party comes to Miami.
- STK - Reopening in South Beach
- Schnebly - opening a restaurant, pop-up dinner series, and market.
- Sugar Yummy Mama - Opening a window in Wynwood.
- Sweet Liberty Drink & Supply Company - Mixologist John Lermayer and partners to open a cocktail lounge.
- Tap 42 -Fort Lauderdale gastropub opening in Coral Gables.
- Tutto Il Giorno - Authentic Italian fare coming soon.
- Wood Tavern - Opening a pizzeria next door, and an upstairs lounge.
- Which Wich - Opening several locations in Miami.
- Whole Foods Market - proposed mega store in Sunset Harbour
- Wynwood Diner - Classic diner and cocktails opening in Wynwood.
- Zest - Cindy Hutson opening a restaurant and fast-casual concept.
Projects in the Works
- Steve Martorano is closer to opening a Miami Beach location.
- 50 Eggs may open a taco concept.
- Jugofresh's Matthew Sherman and Darren Laszlo plan to open new concept in Sunset Harbour.
Intermezzo Lounge prior to Neil Degrasse Tyson
Wed., Nov. 16, 8:00pm
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Miami dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
2626 Ponce de Leon Blvd.
Coral Gables, FL 33134