The first month of 2015 brought a host of openings to the Miami dining scene.
The most hotly anticipated openings included the Vagabond Restaurant -- where executive chef Alex Chang cooks an international menu that ranges from roasted nuts and chapulines to well-seasoned Iberico skirt steak -- and the locavore-friendly Whole Foods Market in downtown Miami, where shoppers can purchase anything from Jugofresh cold-pressed juices and Zak the Baker bread to healthful versions of Versailles Restaurant classics.
Miami's craft beer scene also got a shot in the arm with the opening of MIA Brewing Company and J. Wakefield Brewing Company.
There were a few closings in January, a sign that establishments aren't all faring well this season. Coconut Grove's Gardner's Market closed, as did La Gazzetta in Brickell. Wynwood's Shikany abruptly shuttered too, although a recording states the restaurant will reopen in February.
- Chick-fil-A in Flagler Park
- Choices Café in Coral Gables
- Coral Cafe (959 West Ave., Miami Beach)
- Coyo Taco
- El Cielo
- Fresh American Bistro at Sole on the Ocean
- La Terrasse
- La Savina Cafe & Grill
- Limited Edition Caffe & Vino Buono
- MIA Brewing
- Made in Italy Gourmet
- Momi Gyoza Bar
- Repour Homemade Cocktails at Albion Hotel
- Rumbar at Ritz-Carlton Key Biscayne
- Vagabond Restaurant
- Velvet Creme Doughnuts Food Truck
- J. Wakefield Brewing Company
- Whole Foods Market Downtown Miami
Continue reading on the next page for closings and coming attractions.
- Casa Larios
- Gardner's Market
- La Gazzetta
- Shikany has closed, but the restaurant's voicemail message states it will reopen in February.
- Barley & Wich has changed its name to Barley American Brasserie. With the name change comes a revised menu.
- Filling Station & Garage Bar has closed in Miami and is moving to 3200 NE 12th Ave. in Oakland Park.
- AC Hotel - Coming to Miami Beach.
- Bachour Bakery and Bistro
- Bake House - Opening in Miami Beach.
- Beachcraft - Tom Colicchio's new restaurant coming soon, along with Sandbox.
- Bikini Barista - coming to midtown.
- Biscayne Diner - Reopening.
- Bonefish Grill - Opening in Aventura.
- Boxelder - Craft beer shop coming to Wynwood.
- Byblos - Opening at the James Royal Palm.
- China Grill - Moving to Brickell.
- Continental - Stephen Starr's retro Philadelphia restaurant coming to Miami.
- Crust - Pizza on Brickell by Klime Kovaceski.
- The Daily Creative Food Co. - opening in Miami Beach.
- David's Cafe - Reopening on Alton Road
- Estefan Kitchen - Gloria and Emilio are at it again.
- Fooq's - Opening in Nemesis space.
- GastroPod - Opening in Aventura Mall.
- Gravity Brewlab - Opening in Wynwood.
- Harry's Pizzeria - Chef Michael Schwartz to open location in Coconut Grove.
- Izzy's Fish & Oyster - Chef Jamie DeRosa plans a New England fish shack.
- Jimmy'z Kitchen - Opening in Brickell.
- Klima Restaurant & Bar - Opening soon.
- La Moderna - Opening in SoBe.
- Laffa Mediterranean Kitchen - From the My Ceviche team.
- The Lunchbox - Opening in Wynwood.
- Mellow Mushroom - Stoner themed pizza chain opening in Miami.
- Milk Burger - New York burger joint teasing us with hints of a Miami location.
- Ms. Cheezious - The food truck is opening a shop.
- My Ceviche - Coming to Midtown, MIA, and Coral Gables.
- NaiYaRa - Chef Bee to open Thai Asian street food bistro in SoBe.
- Naked Lunch - Chef Ralph Pagano opens a lunch spot.
- Nobu - Famed chef opens restaurant on Miami Beach.
- Paraiso Bay will host a Michael Schwartz restaurant.
- PB Station - The Pubbelly Boys open in Miami.
- Persona Pizzeria - California chain coming to Miami.
- Pi Pizzeria - opening Pi'ami.
- Piripi - El Bulli veteran opening Coral Gables eatery.
- Pincho Factory - Opening another location in Hialeah.
- Quality Meats - New York butcher/restaurant coming to Miami Beach.
- Red Ginger - Asian flair coming to South Beach.
- Revolution in Bloom - Vegan and vegetarian cuisine.
- Señor Frog's - the party comes to Miami.
- STK - Reopening in South Beach
- Schnebly - opening a restaurant, pop-up dinner series, and market.
- Sugar Yummy Mama - Opening a window in Wynwood.
- Sweet Liberty Drink & Supply Company - Mixologist John Lermayer and partners to open a cocktail lounge.
- Tap 42 -Fort Lauderdale gastropub opening in Coral Gables.
- Tutto Il Giorno - Authentic Italian fare coming soon.
- Wood Tavern - Opening a pizzeria next door, and an upstairs lounge.
- Which Wich - Opening several locations in Miami.
- Whole Foods Market - proposed mega store in Sunset Harbour
- Wynwood Diner - Classic diner and cocktails opening in Wynwood.
- Zest - Cindy Hutson opening a restaurant and fast-casual concept.
Projects in the Works
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
- Steve Martorano is closer to opening a Miami Beach location.
- 50 Eggs may open a taco concept.
- Jugofresh's Matthew Sherman and Darren Laszlo plan to open new concept in Sunset Harbour.