January 2013 Restaurant Openings and Closings
PB Steak, the fifth Pubbelly restaurant, opened in January.
Happy New Year! 2013 looks like it's going to be a great year for Miami food lovers. It seems that since the first of the year, either a new restaurant has opened -- or announces plans to join the scene.
Some trends we've been noticing -- New York restaurateurs continue to open southernmost outposts. And why not? Having a restaurant in Miami is a darn good excuse to hop a jet for the weekend when the weather turns brisk in Manhattan. Restaurants expanding from the Big Apple to the Big Orange include Catch, Cipriani, Lure Fishbar, Dylan's Candy Bar, and Milk Burger.
We're also liking the surge in seafood, which makes absolute sense when the ocean is at your doorstep. We welcome Fish Fish Restaurant Bar and Market and the above mentioned Catch, and look forward to Lure Fishbar and Poor Man's Lobster.
January saw two casualties -- but maybe not forever. Hoops Sports Bar closed, but it is set to reopen in Coconut Grove soon, while Bernie Matz's The Meatball Joint shut down on South Beach...although Matz told Short Order he'd be open to trying the concept again on the mainland.
- December 2012 Restaurant Openings and Closings
- Bread and Butter
- Devon Seafood & Steak
- Dolce Italian
- Dylan's Candy Bar
- Fish Fish Restaurant Bar and Market
- Georges Kitchen & Loft
- PB Steak
- Radio Pop-Up Bar
- Rec Room
- Hoops Sports Bar
- The Meatball Joint
- 8oz. Burger Bar - Moving to the old Kim's Chinese spot...or not.
- Acropolis Greek Taverna - Bellydancing coming to the Grove.
- Bar Lorenzo - Top Chef Tony Mantuano is opening an Italian restaurant soon.
- Barezzito - Late night sushi to open in SoBe.
- Biscayne Tavern - opening at b2 Hotel in Miami.
- Boxpark - The Hoxton's sibling, coming soon.
- Buddha Sushi Bar - Opening another location on Lincoln Road.
- Bulla - Tapas bar replaces Por Fin in Coral Gables.
- Bunnie Cakes - Vegan bakery coming to Wynwood.
- Capriccio - On the river, coming soon.
- Charles St. - Opening soon.
- Cibo Wine Bar - The second location, coming soon.
- Cipriani - New York icon due at the Icon Brickell.
- Cypress Room - Michael Schwartz's upscale tavern to open early 2013.
- Dore- To open in SoBe.
- The Flat - pre-clubbing snacks.
- Gravity Brewbar - Opening in Wynwood.
- Harvey Wolf - Completes the trio of European pubs, along with Boxpark and The Hoxton.
- Hoops Coconut Grove - Sports bar opening soon.
- HuaHua's - Todd Erickson's Lincoln Road tacqueria to open early 2013.
- Ikea - Coming 2014
- Jefe's Original Fish Taco & Burger - One of Miami's first food trucks goes brick and mortar.
- Jimmy'z - Popular cafe to expand to Pinecrest.
- La Cantina 20 - Another Icon tenant getting set to move in.
- Lure Fishbar - The New York seafood restaurant is coming to the Loews Miami Beach.
- Milk Burger - New York burger joint teasing us with hints of a Miami location.
- N Lounge - Kevin Cory to open a lounge next door to NAOE.
- Panther Coffee - Opening second location in SoBe.
- Poor Man's Lobster - From the folks at Mandolin.
- Restaurant du Cap - Philippe Ruiz' much anticipated venue coming to Brickell.
- The Restaurant at The Raleigh - Michael Schwartz' venture arriving winter 2013.
- Spaghetto - One just opened, several more in the works.
- Swine Southern Table & Bar - Yardbird's pork-centric sister (also from 50 Eggs) to open the middle of February.
- Trader Joe's - Coming to Pinecrest in 2013.
- Umami Burger - The California craze is opening in Miami Beach.
- VooDoo BBQ and Grill - Bringing some mojo to Kendall.
- Wolfgang Steakhouse - Wolfgang Zwiener announces a Miami opening.
- Wynwood Brewing Company - Opening soon.
- Yard House - Chain grub with many many beers.
Projects in the Works
- A fast-casual Asian concept, also by 50 Eggs, is coming to South Beach, adjacent to the original Lime on Alton Road.
- Mark Iacono, from Locali in New York City, is planning on opening a to-be-named restaurant on Miami Beach.
- Jamie DeRosa and Michael Reginbogin are joining forces to open an as-yet-unnamed restaurant.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Miami dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.