James Beard Accepting Nominations For 2013 Awards: You Can Vote
Time to vote for your favorite chef.
Courtesy of Hedy Goldsmith
The James Beard Foundation is now accepting nominations for its 2013 awards and the only thing you need to do to qualify to nominate your favorite chef is to be an opinionated diner.
Anyone can vote online and membership in the foundation is not required. Once registered, you can choose to nominate your favorite chefs, restaurants, and authors in up to 19 categories. Voting closes on December 31, 2012, and each individual can only vote once. Chefs, take note: you can nominate yourself!
Votes from the general public are tallied for consideration, with nominees and winners selected by food and beverage professionals, past chef and restaurant winners, restaurant critics, food and wine editors, and culinary educators.
The following categories are eligible for general nominations:
Best chef: West (CA, HI, NV)
- Best chef: Northwest (AK, ID, MT, OR, WA, WY)
Best chef: Southwest (AZ, CO, NM, OK, TX, UT)
- Best chef: Midwest (IA, KS, MN, MO, NE, ND, SD, WI)
- Best chef: Great Lakes (IL, IN, MI, OH)
- Best chef: South (AL, AR, FL, LA, MS, PR)
- Best chef: Southeast (GA, KY, NC, SC, TN, WV)
- Best chef: Mid-Atlantic (DC, DE, MD, NJ, PA, VA)
- Best chef: Northeast (CT, MA, ME, NH, NY State, RI, VT)
- Best chef: New York City (the five boroughs)
- Outstanding pastry chef
- Rising star chef of the year
- Outstanding chef
- Outstanding restaurant
- Outstanding service
- Outstanding wine program
- Outstanding wine and spirits professional
- Best new restaurant
- Outstanding bar program
Previous award winners from 2008 to
2012 may not be candidates again in the same category, though they may
be eligible in other categories. Winners from 1992 through 2008 are
eligible again in the same category, and continue to be eligible in
categories other than those for which they have won an award from 2008
Last year, several south Florida chefs and restaurants were semi-finalists and Michael's Genuine Food & Drink's Hedy Goldsmith was a finalist. It's time for Miami to be proactive and let the Beard Foundation know we're proud of our restaurants by participating in the nomination process. Click here for a complete list of 2012 winners.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Miami dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More Food & Drink News
- The Salty Donut Is Popping Up in South Beach This Weekend
Tue., Mar. 1, 8:00pm
Fri., Mar. 18, 8:00pm
Sat., Mar. 19, 8:00pm
Tue., Mar. 22, 8:00pm
- Plant-Based Eating Author Rip Esselstyn at Whole Foods Coral Gables Wednesday
- Gastropod's Fried Chicken Sandwich Reigns Supreme