James Beard 2014 Semifinalists Announced: Miami Talent Included
The James Beard Foundation has announced the semifinalists for the 2014 Restaurant and Chef award categories today, and a smattering of Miami culinary professionals made the list. The total number of South Florida semifinalists for 2014 is five, down from last year's seven.
The announcement took place at Orlando's East End Market. The Beard Foundation, by the way, called Orlando "one of Florida's burgeoning culinary hubs." The actual awards ceremony takes place in New York City on May 2 and 5.
Beard award semifinalists were chosen after an online "open call," where anyone could submit their suggestion. Nearly 40,000 submissions were received and were weeded down by the foundation's Restaurant and Chef Awards committee, composed of critics, writers, and editors to the list of semifinalists.
Then, a group of former Beard award winners, committee members, and other regional panelists will cast their votes from the list of semifinalists, with the five in each category with the highest number of votes becoming the nominees for the Beard. The finalists will be announced in Chicago on March 18.
Miami semifinalists for 2014 include:
- The Broken Shaker (Outstanding Bar Program)
- Michael Schwartz, Michael's Genuine Food & Drink (Outstanding Chef)
- Jose Mendin, Pubbelly (Best Chef: South)
- Horacio Rivadero, The District Miami (Best Chef: South)
- Stephen Starr, Starr Restaurants, Philadelphia (Steak 954, Makoto, Verde Restaurant and Bar)
For a complete list of semifinalists, visit jamesbeard.org.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Miami dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More Food & Drink News
- Verde at PAMM Chef Kaytlin Brakefield Creates Exhibit-Inspired Menu
Tue., Jan. 19, 6:30pm
Wed., Jan. 20, 7:30pm
Fri., Jan. 22, 6:00pm
Sat., Jan. 23, 8:00pm
- Wynwood's Beaker & Gray Opens Today, Just in Time for Art Basel
- Miami's Best Eats and Drinks This Week: Frank Sinatra and Art Basel