J Wakefield Brewing Hosting Tap Takeover at Lokal This Saturday
J Wakefield Brewing Company is a home brewer no longer. This Miami-based outfit, led by namesake brewer Johnathan Wakefield, is soon to be officially licensed. In early 2014, they should be fully functional and ready to sell to the city's beer enthusiasts.
In the meantime, you can sample some of their goods at Coconut Grove's burger den, Lokal Burgers & Beer, this Saturday. They're featuring seven beers in a donation-based tap takeover to fund their bottling line equipment.
"It's all donation," Wakefield says. "We're asking for a $5 donation per glass to help fund the bottling line we're trying to buy."
This is Miami, and $5 a drink is a super steal -- especially for a lovingly brewed local beer.
The seven beers on hand will include the following, Wakefield says:
- "Master Blaster Porter, our smoked coconut porter aged with kopi luwak coffee, toasted coconut, vanilla bean
- Hops in Session, our flagship IPA
- Mate Bliss Brown Ale, our brown ale aged with Yerba mate and cacao nibs
- Gmorks Revenge, our 'nothing' imperial stout aged in rum barrels with coconut and vanilla beans
- DDT Porter, a collaboration brew between JWB and Cycle brewing - a barrel aged porter with dulce de leche
- Austin Milbarge, our Berliner done with Riesling wine
- Salatado Limon, our Berliner done with sea salt and kaffir lime leaves and juice."
Wakefield's brewing equipment should be arriving in late November, so they're shooting for a mid-January release date.
In preparation for their new endeavor, Wakefield is headed back to Cigar City later this month.
"I'll be working with them and working for them doing some collaboration brews and stuff like that," Wakefield said.
The tap takeover kicks off at 9 p.m. on Saturday at Lokal. It's all donation-based, and they're asking for $5 per glass. You can check out the details on Facebook. As far as eats for the evening, I highly recommend Lokal's veggie burger. Nom nom nom.
Follow Hannah on Twitter @hannahalexs.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Miami dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.