Hedy Goldsmith's Cookbook Available For Presale: We Have a Preview
Ms. Goldsmith goes to New York.
2012 is turning out to be a good year, indeed, for Michael's Genuine Food & Drink pastry chef Hedy Goldsmith.
The modest and talented chef is on her way this weekend to New York City for the annual James Beard Foundation Awards ceremony at Lincoln Center's Avery Fisher Hall on Monday, May 7, where she is a nominee in the Outstanding Pastry Chef category, alongside notable peers Joanne Chang (Flour Bakery + Café in Cambridge, Massachusetts), Melissa Chou (Aziza in San Francisco), Dahlia Narvaez (Osteria Mozza in Los Angeles), Ghaya Oliveira (Boulud Sud in New York), and Mindy Segal (Mindy's Hot Chocolate in Chicago).
If that's not all, her first book, Baking Out Loud: Fun Desserts with Big Flavors, which has an October 2 release date, is available for pre-sale on Amazon.com for $14.74 (which is a big savings over the $27.50 list price).
Chef Goldsmith has shared a sneak preview of her book with Short Order readers, with a recipe for her easy-to-make and delicious popcorn & peanut bark. Give 'em hell in New York Hedy!
Hedy Goldsmith's Popcorn & Peanut Bark
Makes 1 pound
12 ounces bittersweet chocolate, (preferably Valrhona Caraibe 66%), chopped
3 cups freshly popped popcorn
½ cup salted peanuts (preferably Virginia)
Pinch of kosher salt
1. Line a baking sheet with a nonstick liner.
2. Melt the chocolate in a large heatproof bowl set over simmering water, stirring until the chocolate is melted and smooth, about 4 minutes. Remove the bowl from the heat and add the popcorn, peanuts, and salt. Fold the mixture until the popcorn and peanuts are evenly coated with the chocolate.
3. Scrape the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet and spread into a thin layer.
4. Refrigerate for about 30 minutes, or until cold and firm. Break into small clusters and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Miami dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More Food & Drink News
- Thanksgiving 2015: Guide to Restaurant Dinners in Miami
Tue., Jan. 19, 6:30pm
Wed., Jan. 20, 7:30pm
Fri., Jan. 22, 6:00pm
Sat., Jan. 23, 8:00pm
- Fireman Derek's Five Steps to the Perfect Pie for Thanksgiving
- World-Famous Alinea Popping Up in Miami Beach in February, Tickets on Sale December 2